Home Forums Software Development Android (ARM) development

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Delgado
    Participant

Do you have any knowledge of people using your SDK to develop apps over Android (ARM) based systems? Any advices?

Anders
    Participant

Hi Daniel,

yes, the Gaze SDK has been used to develop apps for ARM-based Android systems. For example, the ibeam concept tablet with embedded eye tracking developed by NTT DoCoMo, Fujitsu, and Tobii.

In addition to the plain C API, there is also an experimental Java binding for the Gaze SDK in the works, which might be released officially if there is enough demand for it.

Daniel Delgado
    Participant

That would be amazing! 🙂

Gabi Zuniga
    Participant

Does the experimental Java binding for the Gaze SDK relies on NDK to bind to Java?
    Is it possible to get hold of a early drop of the Java bindings before release?
    If not then is the Gaze android SDK compatible with the Android NDK environment so that I can build the bindings myself?
    thanks,
    Gabi.

Robert [Tobii]
    Participant

You do not need the NDK if you want to use the Java bindings. There are prebuilt versions included of the Gaze SDK (in the form of two .so files, one for the raw Gaze SDK and one with the JNI bindings).
    Before we publish the Java bindings we need to update them to the latest version of the C API. Stay tuned!

Daniel Delgado
    Participant

Any news?

Robert [Tobii]
    Participant

Thanks you for the reminder! The whole R&D team is focused on the EyeX SDK at the moment, so the Java bindings have not been prioritized. If you are in a hurry, it is probably easier to use the C API and build the Java bindings yourself. We will post an update when there are any Java bindings available.

Shreyas
    Participant

Are the Java bindings available now?

Robert [Tobii]
    Participant

Shreyas: Not yet, but we’re getting there. Are you also developing for Android?

Shreyas
    Participant

Yes. Looking forward to their availability. Any idea how long will it take?

Ognjan Hedberg
    Participant

I am interested in using Gaze SDK for Linux on ARM cores. Currently that is not supported by Tobii so a fallback could be to use Android and for that I understand that the above mentioned Java binding is important. Is this binding included in Gaze SDK now or will it be included in the near future?

Robert [Tobii]
    Participant

Still no news on Gaze SDK for Java. It is in the near-term backlog, but not the most important thing right now. Keep on asking for it!

Ognjan: For you first evaluation round, my advice is to see how far you can get with the Gaze SDK C API for Android. The C API has some command line samples you can build upon.

Maxime
    Participant

Has anybody made any progress on wrapping the C API with JNI? I’m looking into this, and wondered if I had to start from scratch.

Rakesh
    Participant

I have a question..

Is it possible to cross compile the Eye X SDK (or maybe any of Tobii’s other SDKs) on a Linux/Android ARM based systems to support our apps?

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @awrak, I am afraid that for the time being Android/ARM is not supported with the current EyeX SDK (or indeed any other) for the time being. However, we are constantly developing new release and supported architecture, so be sure to sign up for our newsletter and check the Tobii website for updates in the future. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.