Home Forums Eye Tracking Devices Cannot contact the Tobii Service

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Michelle ten Pas
    Participant

Hi!

When I connect my EyeX controller, the red lights light up for less than a second and then it turns black. When I open the EyeX Engine, it says “Cannot connect to eye tracker” and when I click the repair button next to it, I get the notification “We cannot contact the Tobii Service to start the EyeX Engine. Have you turned the Tobii service off?”. This is really weird, because before the eye tracker worked perfectly fine and I never had any problems. My laptop still recognises that the eye tracker is connected via the USB 3.0 port. The only thing that I could explain the problem with is a normal security update for Windows my laptop automatically installed.
    I tried all kinds of things, rebooted my pc, updated drivers, reinstalled the EyeX Engine etc. but nothing worked and I’m starting to get desperate, because I need it for my bachelor thesis and the deadline is coming closer..

I’m using a Sony Vaio with Windows 7,
    Tobii EyeX Controller Core version: Not Available
    Tobii EyeX Controller Driver version: 1.3.1
    Tobii Service version: 1.5.5.5714
    Tobii EyeX Version: 1.5.5.5714
    Tobii EyeX Interaction Version: 1.5.3.1620

Nate
    Participant

I’m having a similar problem. I’m on Windows 10. It was working for a few days, now it’s not. Same error message. Any ideas on how to diagnose?

Louis dAboville
    Participant

Same problem here – all was working fine until last week. I tried everything Michelle listed above to no avail, finally tried a fresh install of Windows 10 which fixed it temporarily, but windows 10 has since installed some updates and I am having exactly the same issue again…

Michelle ten Pas
    Participant

I uninstalled the updates and now it works again for me, but I hope that this is not the only way to solve it..

Louis dAboville
    Participant

OK, yeah not exactly an ideal workaround. Which update did you have to uninstall?

Have just managed to get mine working again by manually starting the Tobii service from Task Manager (which for some reason is stopped)

Michelle ten Pas
    Participant

It was 2 windows 7 updates which my laptop installed automatically the day before the eye-tracker stopped working. I don’t remember what kind of updates they were exactly, but when I went through it I could not find any relation to the problem. Fortunately, it worked.

Okay, I didn’t try that, but sounds like a good solution!

Louis dAboville
    Participant

OK, thanks. I’m running a fresh install of Windows 10. I think the update that stopped it working for me was
    “Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3116869)”

I haven’t tried reverting it, would rather find a solution that works without doing that.

In case it’s of any use for the devs, my entire update history at the point where it stopped working (most recent at the top) was :

“Definition Update for Windows Defender – KB2267602 (Definition 1.211.2615.0)”
    “Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 x64 Edition – December 2015 (KB890830)”
    “Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3116869)”
    “Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3119147)”
    “Definition Update for Windows Defender – KB2267602 (Definition 1.211.2364.0)”

Jenny [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ll file a bug report and see if we can find the root cause of the problem.

Jenny [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi,

We think we have identified the problem for Windows 10, but not yet for Windows 7. They seem to be separate issues.

@Louis
    : We have put up a new driver, EyeX Controller Driver 2.0.2. Could you please try that one? Go to Device Manager, right-click the Tobii EyeX Controller and click Update driver (from Microsoft Windows). Let us know if it works! If not, it is possible to do a rollback to the previous driver, in Device Manager.

Michelle ten Pas
    Participant

The updates on Windows 7 that cause problems here are Update for Microsoft Windows KB3107998 and KB3102810. I don’t know which of the two causes the problem, but I hope this helps you find a solution… The thing is, every time I restart my laptop it automatically installs the updates again and I’m left with the same problem again.

Jenny [Tobii]
    Participant

@Michelle:
    Thanks for the additional info!
    I wonder why they get automatically re-installed since they are optional updates. Is it a work computer that is affected by Group Policy settings?
    I found this troubleshooting guide that might be worth trying otherwise: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/troubleshoot-problems-removing-updates#1TC=windows-7

Jenny [Tobii]
    Participant

@Michelle, @leskos:
    We have now released the Tobii EyeX 2.0 software. Please upgrade and see if the problem remains.
    (The EyeX Controller driver that was avaliable via Windows Update will be revoked now that it is included in an official release bundle).

Louis dAboville
    Participant

OK thanks Jenny, will try it out later today. Since updating the driver to 2.0.2 everything seems to be behaving itself. Just did the big update to Windows 10 version 1511 too and no problems so far.

Michelle ten Pas
    Participant

Thank you @jennytobii! I installed some general updates and it worked again. I decided to update to Tobii EyeX 2.0 and my unity game still works fine. Only too bad that most of the settings are only available for Windows 10.

Jenny [Tobii]
    Participant

@leskos: The EyeX 2.0 software bundle includes that same EyeX Controller Driver 2.0.2. Glad to hear all works fine with this driver!

@Michelle
    : Glad to hear all works fine now!
    Regarding features only available for Windows 10 – I couldn’t agree more. My work PC is Window 8.1, so I’m blocked out of most of the features too. I believe the touch where you look features would be really neat when working on the laptop actually in the lap, using the touchpad. I would also like to be able to use the EyeX Controller with Windows Hello (http://www.tobii.com/xperience/hello/), unlocking the computer simply by appearing in front of the screen, not having to type a password would be sweet. I just have to get Windows 10 on my work PC…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.