[Solved] Commercialization for software developed with Tobii Core SDK

Home Forums Software Development [Solved] Commercialization for software developed with Tobii Core SDK

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ArifH
    Participant

Hi,

I’m not too clear with the licensing, while it is very clear that it should not be use for analytics, high risk of used I was informed that it is OK to publish any software that I develop using Tobii Core SDK, but how about commercialization of the software (selling the software)?

Additionally how about for “Medical Classified” use can you provide me a better definition of it? What if the software I developed is to assist user (inclusive with special needs people) for productivity or messaging app? Does this still falls under “Medical Classified” since it is not meant for “Recoveries”?

Best,
    Arif

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @arifh, thank you for your patience. Please allow me to try and deal with your queries.

Regarding commerical distribution. Yes, you can develop and sell(distribute) software using an existing Tobii eye tracker. But remember you cannot resell the actual tracker unless you have a reseller agreement with a distributor.

In greater detail, please find below the following excerpt below from the licence agreement:

Grant of License.
    3.1 Grant of License. Subject to the limitations specified in this Agreement and during the term of this Agreement, Tobii grants Licensee a limited, worldwide, royalty-free, non-assignable, revocable and non-exclusive license to use the SDK (including the Software Components and use of example code) solely to develop, use and distribute Applications that process data from Tobii Hardware and Software for the purpose of Gaze Interaction Use.

3.2 Limitations. Licensee may not (i) copy (except for backup purposes), modify, adapt, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, or create derivative works of the Software Components; or (ii) use the SDK to build software that may be used as an SDK providing API’s that use functionality from the Software Components.

Regarding your query for a robust definition of “Medical Classified”

This is indeed somewhat of a grey area, but we only allow developers to use the SDK in applications that doesn’t involve High risk Use. Having that said, for anyone to deliver an application that uses an eye tracker in this environment will require a tracker that has passed medical classification and Tobii doesn’t have that peripheral today (only Dynavox do). So whatever solution you develop it can’t be for a “high risk use” solution, which doesnt’ appear to be the case based on your description above.

Based on this reasoning and the section 3.1 (above) and 3.7 (below) there is nothing that prevents you from developing your aforementioned assistive applications.

In greater detail from the licence agreemet:

3.7 No High Risk Use or Medical Classified Use. The SDK (including the Software Components) is not fault tolerant, and is accordingly not designed or intended for use in any software or situation where failure or fault of any kind could lead to death or serious bodily injury of any person, or to severe physical, environmental or property damage (“High Risk Use”). The SDK (including the Software Components) may only be used to develop Applications that do not involve High Risk Use. High Risk Use includes, for example, aircraft navigation, military and industrial use, control of nuclear, chemical facilities and of other modes of human mass transportation, as well as medical, surgical, or other use intended to support or sustain life. Furthermore, but nonetheless, the SDK (including the Software Components) is not certified for medical classified environments (“Medical Classified Use”) and Tobii prohibits any such use of the SDK or the Software Components, unless a special license agreement is entered into for this purpose. Tobii disclaims liability for all such use. and use of example code) solely to develop, use and distribute Applications that process data from Tobii Hardware and Software for the purpose of Gaze Interaction Use.

I hope this has answered your query satisfactorily, please let me know if there is any further information you require.

ArifH
    Participant

Hi Grant,

Thank you so much for spending time to carefully be thorough with my query! It does clear my confusions and answered my questions :), I really like Tobii products and wish to develop applications with it so I would really want to clear things out. Should I have further questions I’ll reach back to you, this case can be marked as resolved!

Best,
    Arif

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Great, thanks for the feedback @arifh, good luck with your future development and please feel free to post any relevant code snippits you would like to share on the project page of our forum @

Community Projects

Best Wishes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.