Home Forums Software Development Doing research with the Tobii Engine SDK in Smalltalk

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Marcel Taeumel
    Participant

Hi, there.

I just read the Tobii Engine SDK License Agreement and wondered whether I am allowed to carry out a certain research project using the Tobii EyeX Controller, including publishing the results in a journal or conference proceedings.

To be more specific, I first want to build a plugin/layer/adapter to support the Smalltalk programming language [1], because Tobii EyeX only supports C/C++ and .NET. After making Tobii available to the Smalltalk environment, I can start building smaller applications, games, programming tools, and other artifacts in the environment. These artifacts might then be tested with real users, results be published as mentioned above.

Am I allowed to do that or do I (or my university) have to buy a Tobii Pro Lab package [2]? According to the Tobii Engine SDK License Agreement 3.4.2 (ii), it seems that I am not even allowed to write the necessary adapter to support the self-supporting Smalltalk programming system in the first place.

To give you a little bit more context, the Squeak/Smalltalk system is considered quite end-user friendly. While it is — considering the virtual machine — a vehicle to execute applications, it is not exactly what you would call an “SDK”, as stated in the license agreement, nor is it an “Application” itself. It’s something in between.

All the source code, which would be created in the context of this research, would be open and free for everyone to try out — given that they own an EyeX controller.

Best,
    Marcel

[1] http://www.squeak.org
    [2] http://www.tobiipro.com/product-listing/tobii-pro-lab/

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @marcel-taeumel,

Thanks for getting in touch. It certainly sounds like you have a somewhat unusual situation.

Whilst I don’t necessarily think that your intention falls within the conditions of the EyeX SDK licencing agreemement,
    never the less it may be possible for us to create a special agreement specifically for your purpose.

To that end, I would kindly ask you to forward your query to the SDK licencing team at [email protected] who should be
    able to provide you with a more concrete response.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.