Home Forums Software Development EyeX Chrome Extension

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Jenny [Tobii]
    Participant

@John: Eagerness noted and appreciated! ๐Ÿ™‚ We are continually forwarding what you in our dev community are requesting to the people making decisions about priority and resources.

Kevin B
    Participant

@Jenny, @John My first post..

I have to agree with @John an official Javascript API would be awesome. Third parties are cathing up faster and I think it should be the otherway around.
    http://developers.overwolf.com/eye-tracker-getting-started/

Same goes for Java API and or Processing Plugin. OpenFrameworks implementation also seems to be third party.

Anyway still love the eye X ๐Ÿ™‚

Olli Sinerma
    Participant

I would like to chime in with the previous guy.

There is a huge market in hospitals for people who have lost their ability to move arms to use computers. I am currently working on such a case and would love to give the incapacitated people a chance to surf the web again. At the moment they can only watch the TV or listen to the radio and not even change the channels unless a nurse helps them out…

Please. This feature would mean so much more for so many people than gaming where eye control is less valuable feature. The most important area in gaming for eye tracking will be in VR where Tobii kind of tech is not usable.

Source: I am a game developer.

Olli Sinerma
    Participant

Got the chrome extension working and infact its pretty good! What I would like to do is have tobii as a standalone device at the hospital, so that the device would work as so:

1. Open computer by user initiated click action (operated by finger, mouth or similar action movement depending on the disability)
    2. Initiate calibration. Its unknown how the patient is seated so this should be the first action.
    3. After the calibration is complete, open a chrome web browser

At this point, tobii work pretty much fine. The only issue is the virtual keyboard… windows 8 has one built in, but to optimize its behaviour copy how virtual keyboard works on ipad devices. When there is user input area selected -> open it automatically.

This far I have not found anything that could act as a proper keyboard input device for tobii users.

Alexander Voss
    Participant

Dear Tobii,

can I also add my voice to the choir calling for a JavaScript API? I am looking to develop services for people with dyslexia and a commodity device like the Eye-X would be of immense use there. We are talking about 10-15% of the population in English-speaking countries. Any update on where this is at would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Alex

Asgeir Mortensen
    Participant

Some sort of ability to use the device/API on webpages would be welcome. Any ETA. on this?

Arnold Kopping
    Participant

There are far more webapp developers than there are game developers. Tobii should’ve released JS APIs in january already… I just do not get it…

Andy
    Participant

I also would love to have a JS API. As Arnold said, there are way more web developers than game developers.

Jenny [Tobii]
    Participant

I think one of the reasons it is a good idea to focus on games is that gamers are more prone to buy somewhat pricy new tech peripherals ๐Ÿ™‚ But it is always interesting to hear how someone with another view on things thinks about it.

@Andy
    , @Arnold: I’m curious – what kind of web-based eye-gaze enabled software do you think could make people go buy an eye tracker to be able to use it?

Arnold Kopping
    Participant

Hi Jenny,

it is quite easy realizing that gaming in this case is the “narrow use case”. By that I mean that the WORK done in a game is moving your forces or building/demolishing stuff or maneuvering your avatar from a 1st or 3rd person view. And yes, gamers and e-sporters who have bought themselves expensive graphic cards, Hydras, Oculus Rifts etc.. will not hesitate to buy eyeX for $100 if they add real value.

At the moment the real value is still to be discovered. I guess some gaming companies try to find this for you besides exploring other devices such as Oculus, Hydra, TrackIR-technologies etc..

So you have the PC gamers, not the ipad or mobile or browser gamers (oops lost the main part of gaming to mobile already!). These are G% of the world population.

Then you’ve got the gaming industry ( Fg% of total digital frontend industry) who puts $X into finding usages for eyetracking. When they do, the gaming industriy will indirectly increase their revenue through providing a better gaming experience. But this leverage depends in some way proportionally to the G% of world population.
    I believe that G% is a very small amount compared to W% of the world population who uses web browsers.

So, if you release JS APIs/bindings for web browser you may potentially reach Fw% of digital frontend industry (Fw% >> Fg%). This industry will then put $Y into finding uses for eyeX. The amount Y is again much bigger than X and the reason is because each and every case of WORK that needs to be done through a webbrowser will consider how eyetracking could be used to leverage and make WORK more efficient.
    That will happen because this WORK is not about maneuvering a game avatar or building/demolishing virtual toys and stuff. It is about the real world where people buy stuff for real money, they do their everyday work and they need to be more efficient and less error prone.

Eventually this is where corporations of the world, not gamers, will buy eyetrackers for each PC they have. Which of course is not feasible… the only real solution is to integrate them into laptops and screens.

I do not know about Tobii’s ambitions, but as it seems now you try to conquer the gaming-world.
    I guess me and @Andy see quite a bit more potential around your product than just the “little” world of gaming.

Edit:
    In short… the rate, disparity and scale of innovation would be much higher around web browser.

Andy
    Participant

Once again, Arnold and I are thinking along the same lines. If you lower the barrier to entry by making prototyping easier, more people will try new ideas. If just one or two of those ideas can save time, money, or lives based on making users more efficient or less error prone businesses or even entire industries could be willing to buy the product.

Martin Pum
    Participant

Does the Chrome Extension still work? I couldn’t get it to work with the current Eyex Version.

John
    Participant

While we’re waiting for Tobii to show some love to (or even acknowledge the validity of) the Web development community, here’s an alternative for y’all to experiment with. New JavaScript library from Brown University enables eye tracking using standard webcams. They’re claiming up to 10px accuracy after training: WebGazer.js. Maybe Tobii’s hardware is unnecessary after all.

Arnold Kopping
    Participant

Have a look at VisageSDK as well. Also Webcam-based.

I bought the EyeX device but will most likely never develop for it, unless it can detect multiple eye-gazes without calibration.

You are being outrun here, not even sure that acting fast is enough.

Kevin B
    Participant

WebGazer.js is cool but, it is not even close to the Tobii for accuracy.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.