Home Forums Software Development EyeX Engine Calibration fails

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Deepak Akkil
    Participant

Hello,
    I have been using EyeX for a while now and have had no problems with the set up so far. I don’t know what changed today, but now I cannot create a new user profile in the EyeX engine.

After the calibration process, It says:
    “Detection failed. Some tips:
    If you wear glass, make sure they are clean.
    Avoid direct bright sunlight
    Relax, its OK to blink”

I have tried the calibration process with different users in different environments [dim to normally lit], without any luck. The tracker can see the eyes clearly [as is shown before calibration]. Interestingly, I can still calibrate with Tobii Showcase Quick calibration without any problems.

I have reinstalled my EyeX drivers and That did not help either. Because It works with Tobii Showcase, it may not be a problem with the hardware. Can someone tell me if there is any difference in the Tobii showcase calibration and EyeX engine calibration implementations? Any extra points of failure?

Mattias [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi Deepak,

Could you have changed anything with your screen? (for example if you are using a laptop, or multiple screens). Sometimes the tracker can loose the automatic screen detection. If so, it could be worthwhile to check this in the Tobii EyeX settings panel.
    If the screen is unidentified it could post that calibration error message. This may not be the problem, as Showcase seems to work for you, but is is worth a shot.

/Mattias

Deepak Akkil
    Participant

Thanks for your response.

The screen is automatically detected, there does not seem to be a problem there.
    I plan to try the tracker on a different computer and confirm. I will update the result here.

Meanwhile, Is there any logging that I can enable or some other way of troubleshooting the problem?

Robert [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi Deepak,

Sorry to hear about your problem. To troubleshoot the issue, you can take a look at the log file Tobii.Configuration.log located in C:\ProgramData\Tobii.

Deepak Akkil
    Participant

Thanks all for the quick response. It seems to be something with the Display/firmware that is causing the issue. I am pasting the Tobii.Configuration.log data for the calibration process.

========================================
    Application start date: 8/13/2014
    Application start time: 10:17:09 AM
    Product version: 0.8.17
    Package type: OEM
    ========================================

10:17:09 AM INFO Start Tobii Configuration Application.
    10:17:09 AM INFO InteractionContext_1.TransportLayerConnecting…
    10:17:09 AM INFO InteractionContext_1.TransportLayerConnected!
    10:17:09 AM INFO ServerStateStore: Load server states
    10:17:09 AM INFO TetConfig: DisplayDevices::GetDisplayDeviceName(173) Message=No displayDeviceName found for index 1
    10:17:09 AM INFO TetConfig: DisplayDevices::GetMonitorDeviceName(206) Message=No Monitor Device Name found for display name \\.\DISPLAY1 and index 1
    10:17:09 AM INFO TetConfig: DisplayDevices::GetDisplayDeviceName(173) Message=No displayDeviceName found for index 1
    10:17:09 AM INFO ResolveConfigurationFlow: Run
    10:17:09 AM INFO CalibrationFlow: Run
    10:17:14 AM INFO Flow navigator: step – Tobii.EyeTracking.Common.Calibration.ViewModels.EyesPositioningViewModel, index – 0 activated
    10:17:14 AM INFO EyesPositioningViewModel: Activate
    10:17:14 AM INFO EyesPositioningViewModel: Activated
    10:17:14 AM INFO EyesPositioningViewModel: Start
    10:17:14 AM INFO EyesPositioningViewModel: Stop
    10:17:14 AM INFO EyesPositioningViewModel: Stopped
    10:17:14 AM INFO EyesPositioningViewModel: Started
    10:17:18 AM INFO EyesPositioningViewModel: Stop
    10:17:18 AM INFO EyesPositioningViewModel: Stopped
    10:17:18 AM INFO EyesPositioningViewModel: Deactivate
    10:17:18 AM INFO EyesPositioningViewModel: Deactivated
    10:17:18 AM INFO Flow navigator: step – Tobii.EyeTracking.Common.Calibration.ViewModels.CalibrationProcessViewModel, index – 1 activated
    10:17:18 AM INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: start calibration
    10:17:18 AM INFO CalibrationProcess: StartCalibrationProcessLoop calibration
    10:17:18 AM INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: show stimuli – 0.5,0.5
    10:17:23 AM INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: show stimuli – 0.9,0.5
    10:17:25 AM INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: show stimuli – 0.9,0.1
    10:17:28 AM INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: show stimuli – 0.5,0.1
    10:17:30 AM INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: show stimuli – 0.1,0.1
    10:17:33 AM INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: show stimuli – 0.1,0.5
    10:17:35 AM INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: show stimuli – 0.1,0.9
    10:17:38 AM INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: show stimuli – 0.5,0.9
    10:17:40 AM INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: show stimuli – 0.9,0.9
    10:17:43 AM INFO CalibrationProcess: Computing calibration
    10:17:43 AM INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: start computing result
    10:17:45 AM INFO CalibrationProcess: Failed calibration with exceptionTobii.Gaze.Core.EyeTrackerException: Firmware error: Operation failed. (error code FirmwareOperationFailed).
    at Tobii.EyeTracking.Common.EyeTrackerConnection.EyeTrackerEtcc.ComputeCalibration()
    at Tobii.EyeTracking.Common.Calibration.CalibrationProcess.ComputeCalibration()
    at Tobii.EyeTracking.Common.Calibration.CalibrationProcess.CalibrationProcessLoop(Uri eyeTrackerUrl, Point2D[] calibrationPoints, CancellationToken cancellationToken, Boolean recalibrate)
    10:17:45 AM INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: calibration process completed, result – AllPointsFailed
    10:17:45 AM INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: stop calibration process.
    10:17:45 AM INFO CalibrationProcess: Stop
    10:17:45 AM INFO Flow navigator: step – Tobii.EyeTracking.ControlPanel.Calibration.ViewModels.CalibrationProcessFailedResultViewModel, index – 3 activated
    10:17:47 AM INFO CalibrationProcessFailedResultViewModel: Cancel
    10:17:47 AM INFO CalibrationViewModel: StopCalibration
    10:17:47 AM INFO EyesPositioningViewModel: Stop
    10:17:47 AM INFO EyesPositioningViewModel: Stopped
    10:17:47 AM INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: stop
    10:17:47 AM INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: stop calibration process skipped as no calibration process is active.
    10:17:47 AM ERROR CalibrationFlow: Calibration was aborted
    10:17:47 AM INFO ResolveConfigurationFlow: Done

Update: I can calibrate to an extended display [After manually setting up the display] but I cannot calibrate to the normal PC display.

Any idea what might be causing this and how to resolve?

Deepak Akkil
    Participant

Thanks Mattias and Robert.

Update: It seems something goes wrong with the display identification. The display is correctly identified in the EyeX settings [when I manually do the Set up].
    Screenshot : https://www.dropbox.com/s/tm3f1l8qzvk3zpt/EyeX.PNG

Robert [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi Deepak,

Thanks for sharing the log. You are right, it seems to be a problem with identifying the display. I know that we have seen conflicts with TeamViewer and other remote desktop control applications (VNC, Remote Desktop).

Have you installed any software like that recently that you can try to disable until we have fixed the bug?

Deepak Akkil
    Participant

Different day, Different set up… same problem!
    I do not have any remote desktop applications installed (teamviewer ..etc) and the display is correctly recognized in the EyeX engine.

Could you think of any other application that could potentially lead to this error?

Deepak Akkil
    Participant

Note : Duplicate question here: http://developer.tobii.com/community/forums/topic/calibration-failed-firmware-error/

I do not seem to have the access to delete my question for some reason. Kindly ignore

Sybren
    Participant

I have the same problem, same error in the log and all that.
    Though why it is said to be a display problem is unclear to me.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but to me it seems like a firmware problem.
    (firmware version: 1.0.3-30188)
    usbversion: 1.3.2.45
    eyex controller driver: 1.0.0
    service/eyeX version: 0.10.1.2028

Robert [Tobii]
    Participant

Sorry to hear that. Can you please retry with the latest EyeX release?

Sybren
    Participant

Still the same. Although it did finish the first time, I deleted that profile because it was not accurate. I gave it 10+ shots, altering the light every few tries.

17:10:09 INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: calibration process completed, result – AllPointsFailed
    17:10:09 INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: stop calibration process.
    17:10:09 INFO CalibrationProcess: Stop
    17:10:09 INFO Flow navigator: step – Tobii.EyeTracking.ControlPanel.Calibration.ViewModels.CalibrationProcessFailedResultViewModel, index – 3 activated
    17:10:11 INFO CalibrationProcessFailedResultViewModel: Try again
    17:10:11 INFO EyesPositioningViewModel: Activate
    17:10:11 INFO EyesPositioningViewModel: Start
    17:10:11 INFO EyesPositioningViewModel: Start
    17:10:11 INFO Flow navigator: step – Tobii.EyeTracking.Common.Calibration.ViewModels.EyesPositioningViewModel, index – 0 activated
    17:10:11 INFO EyesPositioningViewModel: Stop
    17:10:11 INFO EyesPositioningViewModel: Started
    17:10:12 INFO CalibrationProcessFailedResultViewModel: Try again
    17:10:12 INFO Flow navigator: step – Tobii.EyeTracking.Common.Calibration.ViewModels.EyesPositioningViewModel, index – 0 activated
    17:10:12 INFO EyesPositioningViewModel: Stop
    17:10:12 INFO EyesPositioningViewModel: Deactivate
    17:10:12 INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: start calibration
    17:10:12 INFO CalibrationProcess: StartCalibrationProcessLoop calibration
    17:10:12 INFO Flow navigator: step – Tobii.EyeTracking.Common.Calibration.ViewModels.CalibrationProcessViewModel, index – 1 activated
    17:10:12 INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: show stimuli – 0.5,0.5
    17:10:15 INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: show stimuli – 0.9,0.5
    17:10:18 INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: show stimuli – 0.9,0.1
    17:10:20 INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: show stimuli – 0.5,0.1
    17:10:23 INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: show stimuli – 0.1,0.1
    17:10:25 INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: show stimuli – 0.1,0.5
    17:10:28 INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: show stimuli – 0.1,0.9
    17:10:30 INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: show stimuli – 0.5,0.9
    17:10:33 INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: show stimuli – 0.9,0.9
    17:10:35 INFO CalibrationProcess: Computing calibration
    17:10:35 INFO CalibrationProcessViewModel: start computing result
    17:10:36 INFO CalibrationProcess: Failed calibration with exceptionTobii.Gaze.Core.EyeTrackerException: Firmware error: Operation failed. (error code FirmwareOperationFailed).
    bij Tobii.EyeTracking.Common.EyeTrackerConnection.EyeTrackerEtcc.ComputeCalibration()
    bij Tobii.EyeTracking.Common.Calibration.CalibrationProcess.ComputeCalibration()
    bij Tobii.EyeTracking.Common.Calibration.CalibrationProcess.CalibrationProcessLoop(Uri eyeTrackerUrl, Point2D[] calibrationPoints, CancellationToken cancellationToken, Boolean recalibrate)

Sybren
    Participant

Update, I let my colleague try it. For him it works every single time.
    Just to be sure any of the corrections (lenses, glasses, etc) would be out of the question I tried those and for each the calibration failed.

Edit: I think I notice my eyes getting distracted all the time. Especially when the white dot is covered by the yellow and uncovered, like they are trying to find out where the yellow is going to. Now I know I am far from an expert on these things, but nevertheless;
    Would it be a good option to be able to choose the moving dot from a set of dots? (if noise-data is the actual cause of the calibration failing for me)

Mattias [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi Sybren,

We are working on your problem. I do not think that it is you getting distracted that cause the problem. Rather it is most likely an internal calibration routine problem. A few other users have had similar problems and with coming releases we are both trying to solve the problem explicitly as well as adding improved logging to be able to better attack the problem should it persist.

If you have a bit of patience, please wait for coming releases (I don’t know exactly when this fix is beeing rolled out but it is already somewhere down the line in our release process, my guess is a few weeks until it is ready for download.)
    If you are in a hurry, contact our support and perhaps they can arrange with some special fix for you in the meantime.

Frank
    Participant

Won’t calibrate after last download.
    Seems everytime there is an update the calibration gets worse.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.