Home Forums Feature Requests Infinite Screen – Snap to centre

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Betty
    Participant

I use Infinite Screen mostly for Elite Dangerous and would love some sort of dead-zone implementation which only worked when the camera was centred.
    When just looking at the scanner/radar of just around the very centre of the screen I would prefer the camera not to respond but as I look more towards the edges, the camera would then start moving.
    Similarly, having looked out of the window as I return my gaze back to the centre of the screen, a snap-to-centre feature would be useful once the camera moves back into that area.
    Having this as an adjustable area (graphically represented similarly to how the dead-zone was on earlier releases, funnily enough) would be absolutely terrific.
    Not sure whether it’s possible but if it was, I’d be very pleased.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @bettymartin,

thanks for your suggestion. You might be interested to know there is already some community software which
    may allow you define deadzones as you suggested available @ http://iris.xcessity.at/

I would encourage you to check this out for now.

Betty
    Participant

Thanks very much for the suggestion. Unfortunately this doesn’t really cover the functionality I was hoping for, nor, more importantly, the price range I was hoping for!
    The dead-zone I would ideally like to see would be conditional based upon the current direction of the camera-view rather than the current position of my gaze on the screen only snapping to centre when the in game camera was close to centred rather than on an overlay which naturally couldn’t recognise this.
    I appreciate this is probably quite complex but leave the suggestion in case something can be considered for the future.

Many thanks for you time however, I do appreciate the response.

MrMicko
    Participant

Betty, xcessity lowered the price recently, now it is only 39 euros.

Hei Sogeki
    Participant

It seems as though the mere existence of a dead zone and snap-to-center feature isn’t everything for you, but I’d like to say that a gaze based snap-to-center feature (as opposed to a button) would be incredibly useful. Dead zones have already been implemented (although there is no graphical representation in ISE) so all that remains is the hands free snap-to-center, possibly configured as shown.

zones

Forgive me if I misinterpret your feature request, but it sounds like you’d want a sticky center, such that the dead zone is enabled until you gaze at the perimeter of your screen, which is when it the dead zone is disabled, giving you full camera control until you snap it back to center based on the camera yaw/pitch coordinates approaching 0.

The dynamic dead zone would definitely be an elegant addition to it’s current state, but the snap-to-center is a must, for me. Whether that’s done by simply looking at a specified zone (as shown in the above image) or by gazing towards the default camera position (which I think is what you’ve suggested, still not sure). Just as long as I don’t have to juggle more buttons (I’m using 3 shift buttons on my HOTAS as it is.)

The only problem I’d have with the dynamic snap-to-center is when turning the camera too far, I wouldn’t want to have to stare at the perimeter of the screen until I approach center enough for it to snap into place. This wouldn’t be a snap-to-center on demand feature, it would just be affixing camera and re-enabling the dead zone. If that’s what you meant, I am requesting an actual snap-to-center feature based on gaze. Your dynamic dead zone / free camera movement wouldn’t pair well with the snap-to-center zone I’ve shown in the above image. I would be fine with it, but to allow the dynamic dead zone and snap-to-center features to coexist, I’d propose a dynamic snap-to-center zone as well.

Instead of a central snap-to-center zone, the zone would be at an edge or corner of the screen based on the current camera angle.
    For example, if I look to the upper right corner of my screen, the camera breaks away from the sticky center and gives me full camera control. Since my camera is aimed to my upper right, the snap to center zone is on the lower left corner.

dynamic zones

At this point, I can guide the camera back to center where it will stick, or I can glance towards the snap-to-center zone to center my view (especially useful when my character’s neck is contorted as he admires the all the flashy lights.)

As I mentioned in my other (redacted) feature request, I’ve attempted to use the snap-to-center button in combat, and it’s simply impractical. However, a snap-to-center zone (plus dynamic dead zone / sticky center) would solve the issues I had mentioned in that post and as far as I can tell, these features would be more useful to others than dynamic sensitivity ranges.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.