Home Forums Software Development Installing EyeX runtime in a PC Eye Go Environment

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jay Beavers
    Participant

We’re developing software using the EyeX SDK for users who have the PC Eye Go installed. We’re successful in using the PC Eye Go hardware with the EyeX SDK, assuming three things have happened:

* The PC Eye Go firmware is upgraded to 1.2.x
    * The EyeX Runtime 1.2.x is installed
    * The EyeX calibration routine is run. Having the PC Eye Go calibrated with its own software suite is insufficient.

Now we’re onto the next problem. It turns out that the EyeX Runtime installer is unfriendly towards people who are using the PC Eye Go Assistive software (e.g. virtual keyboard and mouse). It stops to prompt with questions like ‘press the right control key’ which doesn’t exist in the PC Eye Go Keyboard, etc. So we’d like to find out if there is a ‘quiet mode’ or ‘silent install’ for EyeX Runtime 1.2.0 that doesn’t go through the whole ‘introduction training’ set of screens.

I’ve opened the EyeX 1.2.0 runtime Exe using 7Zip to see what I can learn. I see there is a subdirectory Setup\InstallationGuide\CoreComponents that contains five MSI files of what I assume is what is installed by the setup process.

So my theory is that perhaps I can pull out those five MSIs, install each of them in /quiet mode, and then run the equivalent of the MinimalConfigurationTool to go through the minimal set of steps (Create Profile & Display Setup & Recalibrate & Test Calibration) that would normally be performed by the runtime setup wizard.

What are your thoughts? Does this sound like the right direction?

– jcb

Jenny [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi Jay,

Hm, the automatic start of the tutorial that prompts pressing the right control key has been removed in the latest release, so the EyeX Engine Installer Bundle 1.2 shouldn’t have this behavior. In the latest release the tutorial has been replaced with a eye control only introduction (with a flashlight following the gaze point, and a dwell activated exit button). I’m wondering if maybe you have some old EyeX settings on your computer that causes this behavior.

Have you tried installing on a computer where EyeX has not been installed before?

Jay Beavers
    Participant

I’ll give it another shot with the latest installer.

Have you done a compatibility test pass on installing the EyeX on top of an existing PC Eye Go environment? We’re nervous that adding the EyeX runtime could disrupt the behavior of the PC Eye Go Accessibility suite and this could be very difficult for users constrained to just eye gaze.

Anders
    Participant

Hi Jay,
    the PCEye Go eye tracker is compatible with the EyeX Engine, that much we know, but we haven’t really addressed the compatibility between the PCEye Go software and the EyeX Engine.

The EyeX Engine is a descendant of the Tobii Eye Control Suite software, which is at the core of the PCEye Go software package. Their responsibilities overlap to a large part. It was never our meaning that the two should be run at the same time. But of course it was just a matter of time until someone would try it. 😉

Our eye trackers are designed to handle multiple client applications, so the fact that there will be two “engines” connecting to the tracker shouldn’t be a problem. The one area where I expect that there might be problems is calibration. The two software packages will race for who gets to set the calibration first e.g. after a power-on. The display area could be troublesome too: you might want to stop the PCEye Go display configuration tool from running.

Jay Beavers
    Participant

From what I read above, if we install the EyeX Runtime on a PC Eye Go user’s computer, we may be leaving them in a state where their calibration becomes unreliable due to race conditions between the two engines. Tobii has not tested this scenario, so the outcome is uncertain.

Are you considering testing this scenario? This leaves us in a difficult situation.

– jcb

Anders
    Participant

Hi Jay,
    I can see that this puts you in a difficult position. As far as I know there are no plans to integrate the two software suites, but there might be other available options. I’ll ask the Tobii Dynavox tech support to get in touch with you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.