Home Forums Eye Tracking Devices Tobii Eye Tracker 4C accuracy?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ro He
    Participant

Hello!

I’ve just bought a Tobii Eye Tracker 4C for pleasure, using it while I’m streaming and playing games.

I’m having trouble to get good accuracy. I’ve tried to recalibrate several times, different angles and distances from the monitor, different light. Nothing seems to help. Somehow the ring that shows where I’m watching is above where I’m acutally looking. Is this a known issue or can you manually change the configuration?

Regards, Ro.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @streetrobban, sorry to hear about your troubles. A couple of suggestions for trying to improve accuracy. you mentioned already lighting, but perhaps you could try eliminating and possible sources of Infrared light such as windows or strong spotlights from your environment?

Also, just in case you have any facial piercings, try removing them to see if the reflectivity from these is interfering.. also, do you have another user to test with to see if the accuracy issue is specific to you or generic?

Please also ensure the Tobii Tracker 4C is running the latest firwmare as determined from the Tobii Interaction Software on the system tray and get back to me.

I am afraid there is not the option for a manually configuration of screen calibration locations.

Ro He
    Participant

Hello Grant, thanks for your reply!

I have tried alot of different light, almost pitch black, some background light, and fully bright light. But the result remains the same. The firmware is up to date and I have no piercings or so 🙂 I will let my brother test the device out to see if it works better on him.

Are you planning to add some feature so manually offset/change the focus area? I read some threads from 2016 where this was also asked by other people.

Regards, Robert.

Alex [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi!

Could you please take screenshots of Test and Improve Calibration screen and look at all 9 circles there. I just want to check how big is the offset.

And could you please take a photo of your monitor’s lower bezel and the mounting plate. Is it parallel to the screen plane?

Ro He
    Participant

Hi Alex and thanks for the answer! I’ve compiled the images from the “Test and Improve calibration” screen, and I took a picture of the monitor (ASUS VG278HE, 27″) with the Eye Tracker.

https://ibb.co/kVV3tG
    https://ibb.co/eupeYG

Thanks for your help.

Regards, Robert.

Alex [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi!

I would say it’s not bad. It could be better on the right side, but all in all it is acceptable. Don’t think about eye tracking as a pixel precise pointing device. Your eyes never look at a point but rather scan objects around all the time.

That’s also why we use circle to visualize focus area, not a dot-crosshair.

What kind of application are you thinking about? Do you think it requires higher precision?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.