Home Forums Unity SDK Gaze position with Vive Pro Eye?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Avi
    Participant

Hello,

We are working with the HTC Vive Pro Eye for a research study which includes eyetracking observers while they play videogames in Unity. We have figured out how to save eyetracking data using the SRanipal SDK, but this data is a unit vector representing the direction of gaze, and we (ideally) need to be able to access the gaze point position, likely in XY pixel coordinates, for where an observer is looking in the Unity display. From what we’ve found (and apologies if this is wrong, I’m a newbie to Tobii), the SRanipal SDK does not offer this functionality, and it doesn’t look like the TobiiXRSDK_1.8.2 does either. Is it possible to access XY pixel coordinates for eye tracking using our current set up, or is there a way to pay to expand the SDK package we’re using to integrate this functionality?

Thanks for all your help!

Avi

Supriya Raul
    Participant

I had similar requirement so as a workaround I place a mesh closely in front of the camera aligned with the user’s head movements. Then, I cast a ray using the gaze origin and gaze direction to find a point of interaction with the mesh in the world space. These world space coordinates are then transformed into normalized viewport space to get the desired gaze coordinates. Hope this helps!

Avi
    Participant

Hi Supriya,

Thanks so much for your input! I’m trying a few different things out, and I’ll your suggestion to my list.

Hope you’re having a good weekend 🙂

Avi

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @aviaiz, thanks for your query. something to bear in mind is that if you are using the Tobii XR SDK for the long term storage of data or research purposes then you are legally required to purchase an analytical use licence from us.

You can read more about this @ https://developer.tobii.com/license-agreement/

Accordingly, to avoid complications would be best to stick to the SRanipal SDK for which of course we do not provide support directly.

In any event, we hope you manage to find a solution to your project needs. Best Wishes.

Avi
    Participant

Hi Grant,

Apologies for the delay, I just saw your response. Right now I’m only using the Sranipal SDK, but from what I can tell the Tobii XR SDK has functionality for ‘convergence_distance_mm.’ If we were to pay for a license, would that license allow us to access and save this data for the Vive Pro Eye SDK?

Thanks so much for clarifying,

Avi

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @aviaiz, as this is quite a unique case scenario, I would recommend that you reach out to our dedicated licencing team @

Contact

thereafter the correct person should be able to confirm the situation with regarding to storing of gaze data using the XR SDK. Best wishes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.