Home Forums Eye Tracking Devices 90° cabling for the EyeX

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jay Beavers
    Participant

We’re using the EyeX on Surface Pro 3 devices with great results. We’re getting ready to test with ‘real users’ to get feedback on our work. We’re going to hand out some Surface 3’s with EyeX’s attached to collect that feedback.

The EyeX comes with a large, somewhat bulky USB 3 cable. We’d like to buy a smaller cable which fits the form factor of the Surface 3 better (e.g. about 16″ long) and has 90° bends on the connectors so the cables don’t stick out to the side longer than necessary.

The EyeX uses the USB Micro-B connector which was designed for USB 2.0 instead of USB 3.0 so we’ve been unable to find an off the shelf cable that us both USB 3.0 and Micro-B. We’ve tried substituting a USB-2 cable hoping that it was electrically similar to what you’ve done, but we get warnings from the EyeX driver.

Do you know of a cable source for something like this? Do you have guidance on how to design a custom cable that combines the Micro-B and USB 3 specifications in case we decide to have a custom cable made?

Thanks in advance,

– jcb

Mattias [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi Jay,

The long cable that is supplied with the EyeX Controller is the only cable that Tobii officially supports at this time. However, the connector is not Tobii custom and there are similar off the shelf cables on the market readily available.

Here is an example of a shorter cable that is available on e-bay. Please note, (as already pointed out) that this is not officially supported by Tobii, so using the cable comes without any guarantees whatsoever.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131304430901

This cable does not have the requested 90 deg bend. I am not aware of a cable on the market that fulfills both the specific connector combination and the 90 deg bend requirement but it may of course exist such cables.

Should the 90 deg connector be of critical importance, please contact our support for direct discussion. We should be able to work something out for you, but as I assume you already know custom cables tend to be a bit costly.

/Mattias

Thanh
    Participant

I’ve read that you are using the eyex Tracker with a surface pro 3 with great results.

I just want to ask you about the details of your Surface Tablet. Are you using the version with a i5 or i7 processor? and how many RAM does your tablet have? 4Gb or 8Gb?

I’m intending to buy a surface pro to use it with the tobii EyeX and the optikey Software.
    Its for my father who got a cerebral infarct. So Its not for gaming or something like that.

The System Requirement on the tobii website says that
    2.0 GHz quad core Intel i5 or i7. 8GB RAM is neccessery. But thats higher than the hardware of a surface pro.

Does it maybe work with a i5 4gb or 8gb RAM? What is your experience.

Thanks and hope for your help.

Jay Beavers
    Participant

i4 and 4 gb ram work fine.

Jay Beavers
    Participant

i4 and 4 gb ram work fine.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.