Home Forums Software Development Accessing / Switching / Editing profiles directly in Unity

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    MingJ
    Participant

Hi,

I’m currently working on a game project on Unity 5.0 that is meant to be played by different players.
    My game will be played with a touchscreen connected to a PC and there won’t be any device other than the eye-tracker (no keyboard, no mouse, no gamepad, etc.)
    Before the game start, my app asks the player to enter an username with the visual keyboard I made and then it launches the calibration tool directly from Unity.

The problem is I don’t know if the player will have glasses or not, and the only way to set this option (as far as I know) is by creating a new profile. But I don’t want that, because he/she would have to enter a profile name and there’s no keyboard to do it.

The only options I thought of are :
    1. To ask him/her in the game if he/she has glasses or not and then set it in my code to Guest profile or whatever.
    2. To create 2 profiles (one set to glasses and the other not), then ask him/her and switch between these 2 profiles depending on each case.

I didn’t find any way to do this yet so I’m asking here for some help from anyone.

Thanks in advance

MingJ
    Participant

Can’t edit the post so I’m just leaving it here : first tag is wrong, it’s C# not C++

Anders
    Participant

Hi MingJ,
    let me tell you about one of our best kept secrets: 😉

The reason why we ask for glasses/contacts when creating a user profile isn’t so that we can track better. No, it’s a way to let people who e.g. sometimes wear glasses and sometimes wear contacts to set up different profiles and switch between them — and perhaps even more important: it’s a subtle hint to the users that you need different calibrations for different kinds of eyewear.

So if your game is to be used in a kiosk-like environment (if I understood that correctly?) then a plain guest calibration should work just fine. No need to worry about glasses.

MingJ
    Participant

Hi,

Thank you for your answer ! Now I guess I don’t have to worry about that part of my game anymore.

Just to be sure, since you didn’t mention it I guess what I was looking for cannot be done (yet?)

Patrik [Tobii]
    Participant

Hello MingJ,

You cannot (yet) create or switch user profiles from the Unity SDK, but you can launch a re-calibration and also test eye tracking by using the LaunchRecalibration and LaunchCalibrationTesting methods available on the EyeXHost class.

There is a demo project in the SDK zip package called Calibration that will show you how to do this.

/ Patrik

MingJ
    Participant

Okay, good to know that. I already knew about the calibration and used it in my game. If I’m not mistaking you can also create a profile from Unity, I guess you meant ‘edit or switch’ ^^

Thank you for your support and quick answers. I hope your product will get famous, it’s a really great tool.

Aderyn
    Participant

Hello!

Out of curiosity, what game is it you are working on? 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.