Home Forums Eye Tracking Devices Differences between Tobii REX and Tobii EyeX Dev Kit

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mingxin Yu
    Participant

I want order the Tobii EyeX Dev Kit.

My application is to use eye tracker to control robot movement.

Can you tell me what differences between Tobii REX and Tobii EyeX Dev Kit?

If I buy the Tobii EyeX Dev Kit, can I use eye tracker’s SDK extract the gaze data and added into my developed software?

By the way, in my lab, we ever brought a eye tracker Tobii X50, that is such expensive, many years ago. What’s the main differences between them except price.

Thank you so much.

Robert [Tobii]
    Participant

Controlling robots with your eyes, awesome!

Performancewise there is no big difference between the Tobii REX and Tobii EyeX eye trackers. They are both compatible with the low-level Gaze SDK and the low+higher level EyeX SDK and you can performance the same kinds of interactions. The big difference is the price and availability. If you want to start working now, you should order the REX, but if it is ok to wait until March and if you want to save some money I would order the EyeX Controller (right now we also have it on promotion price, see http://www.tobii.com/en/eye-experience/buy/)

I don’t know so much about the good old Tobii X50 since it is a discontinued product, but I wouldn’t recommend to build any interactive applications with it. Your robot deserves better 🙂

Elias
    Participant

I am working in the same domain developing a gaze driven interaction system with robots. If you like we can exchange some ideas. Do you plan to use the PCEye X in ROS?

Mingxin Yu
    Participant

Hi,

It is my pleasure. I am so glad to hear somebody control robot using gaze.

Are you studying in university? Which universities? Country?

My E-mail: [email protected]

The further discussion and communication are happened through E-mail in the future. All right?

I am now in Bosoton, USA.

Mingxin

Robert [Tobii]
    Participant

Great that you start collaborating. We are very excited to see what you can accomplish with gaze interaction technology and robots. When you have any results that you want to to share, please write a post in the Community Projects forum if you want to show off and get the chance to attract more collaborators.

Elias
    Participant

I am still confused about the differences between EyeX and the REX. You told us that they are virtually the same product disregarding availability and price.

As the EyeX will be delivered in the next couple of weeks I’m wondering who would buy the REX after the EyeX is released…

Furthermore there is a difference in the hardware between both products. As far as I know the EyeX requires USB 3.0, the REX demands only USB 2.0… So there must be some differences under the hood.

And then there are the X2 sensors and the PCEye Go…

I can understand that these devices all target different markets but for your customers it is a really difficult situation. As I mentioned I’m planning to use the sensor to develop some application to control robots. The EyeX is targeted at the consumer market, the PCEye Go is developed for controlling the computer with the eye and the X2 for analyzing gaze.

As I am tight on budget, the affordable EyeX is very attractive. On the other hand I don’t want to get disappointed and have to accept limitations I am not aware of.

Please give us a short explanation with what are the core differences in the hardware and in the software for all of these devices. Especially the difference between the EyeX and the REX would be of high interest.

Robert [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi,

I understand the confusion, it is not easy to keep track on the different Tobii devices, especially since they are all called something with “Eye” or “X”. As developer, you should only need to be care about the Tobii REX and EyeX Controller. (The PCEye Go and X2-30/60 trackers are products manufactured in smaller volumes that have been adapted to work with the analysis and communication software respectively)

As you say, once EyeX is released we expect a majority of people to purchase EyeX rather than REX – as it comes at a lower price and functions the same way as SteelSeries peripheral to be released later this year.

There are exceptions though, for example if USB 3.0 is not an option, or if you are working on a non-Windows OS (EyeX Controller only works on Windows). There are also some other differences such as EyeX being thinner and wider, but not as high. Also, the EyeX only has one camera in the middle while the Tobii REX has two.

On the algorithm/firmware side, the EyeX Controller has a lot of smart functionality to make use of the less expensive components, so the total performance is about the same. I’m afraid I cannot give you any more details than that. So the short answer of the question of which eye tracker to buy: If you are developing on Windows and have an USB 3.0 port –> Get the EyeX Controller!

Andrew
    Participant

I’d like to further clarify on REX vs EyeX. I’m working with larger screens (27″ and 30″). Does REX support larger screens than EyeX? Would REX be a more suitable choice than EyeX for larger screens? Thanks.

Gianluca
    Participant

Hi, I want to ask if anyone know if there’ll be a future support / driver for Linux and Android. The support for USB is available on Linux since 2.6.31, so why do not?!

Robert [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi Andrew,

At the moment the Tobii REX eye tracker handles large screens better than the EyeX Controller. One reason is that the REX has two cameras while the EyeX Controller only has one in the middle. (that is also one of the reasons why the EyeX Controller does not cost as much).

However, the EyeX Controller algorithms/firmware is still under heavy development and the goal is to be able to handle at least 27″ screens in a near future. But if you need large screen support right now, the REX is recommended (even though I don’t think it will work so well in the corners on the 30″ screen.)

Robert [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi Gianluca,

The Tobii REX can be used together with the low-level Gaze SDK on Linux or Android right now. There might be Linux/Android support also for the EyeX Controller in the future, but nothing is decided or committed.

Umakshi
    Participant

Hello,
    Can we also use Tobii EyeX eye tracker with Gaze SDK on Linux?

Jenny [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi Umakshi,

No, there are no Linux USB drivers available for the Tobii EyeX Controller.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.