Home Forums Eye Tracking Devices Eye Tracker 4c on top of the screen

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Kim
    Participant

Is it possible to place the eye tracker on the top of the screen instead of the bottom?

My issue is that my mic with it’s articulated arm will get in the way and the only spot it won’t block sight is from the top.

I apologize if there is a tip on this but I couldn’t find anywhere.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @patriota, thank you for your query. I am afraid that indeed the only place to mount the eye tracker is at the bottom of the screen.

However, if the mic arm is not too wide, there should not be much intrusion depending on your setup.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

Momfer Undersand
    Participant

While a microphone stalk is fairly easy to hide, How about my hand on the steering wheel of my sim rig ?

In sharp corners my 4C tracker will send the camera view straight down without fail as my hand passes in front of the camera. The game uses both eye and head tracking. It’s the head tracking doing this. I managed to be able to turn the eye tracking off and that doesn’t solve this problem. However and sadly it’s not possible to turn head/helmet tracking of. Without loosing eye tracking

Short of me doing a police shuffle on the steering wheel.

It would be really helpful if it would be possible to have the 4c at the top of the screen (Upside down). Sadly not using it at the moment because of this.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @momfer and thanks for your feedback and sorry to hear about your experience with the racing game. Indeed it’s a good point you make and I assume the wheel cannot be lowered to avoid blocking the tracker? However, it should be considered that our stationary eye trackers are designed to operate from the bottom of the screen as a top mounted tracker generally has to contend with a reduction in capture quality due to interference from eye lashes, glasses rims, etc.. so the algorithms are setup this way.

We already produce fully immersive eye tracking in VR headsets which will remove any such issues, but I am afraid for the time being the stationary trackers are specifically designed for bottom mounted operation. Our apologies for any inconvenience.

Momfer Undersand
    Participant

Hi @Grant

While the headsets do look fantastic, sadly due to medical issue’s I can’t wear those on my head.
    To me the 4C was a super solution I would be able to enjoy a Sub VR Experience.

The steering wheel and screen are all locked in position more or less. Due to how the Racing Rig is made and were the mounting holes are.

Cuddo’s for the magnet mounting though it’s strong enough to withstand me literally kramming/sliding over the curb stones and the 4C just keeps put on the screen.

Cheers Momfer

PS:
    After turning the Force feedback off and some blue peter with double sided tape. I can confirm the effect is almost gone/ignored with the tracker 2 inches up the screen. Just a random idea here software patch that makes the camera ignore certain sections of what it can see. (I Checked with Windows Hello to see what the 4C actually sees) And it occurred to me that if the 4C would be able to ignore some of it’s view range the problem goes away. (In a racing rig my eyes are always at the same hight so the 4C doesn’t need to use it’s full viewing hight) Eye tracking is still full screen as it can still see my eyes, Helmet/head tracking I really only want left/right action so if down is less sensitive so be it. Again just a random thought I had.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @momfer, okay thanks for your understanding and good job on the blue peter hack although most definitely not recommend officially! Hopefully this new workaround allow you to enjoy the racing game without interference now?

In any event, I will most certainly pass along your comments to our developers who can consider this for future releases. Best Wishes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.