Home Forums Eye Tracking Devices Eye tracking and lasik

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Rowley
    Participant

So long story short, I own a 4c and the tracking is absolutely horrendous for me. It’s completely unplayable and the gaze tracker is at least 1in above where I’m actually looking.
    As first I thought the tracker was just defective so I sent it back and got a new one, well unfortunately it’s the same exact problem. So I decided to have my sister come over and see how it works for her. She wears contacts and it still was vastly superior to mine. It was almost perfect. 6 out of the 8 circles on the test were almost dead center (although the ones at the top were totally out of the circle and completely wrong, but still way better than mine).
    The only thing I can think of that is different with her eyes than mine is that I had laser eye surgery about 6 years ago.
    Does anyone else on here know anyone who has had lasik and has a similar problem with eye tracking? I’m just trying to figure out how to fix this and I’m at a loss.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @freehotdawgs (Stephen) I am sorry to hear about your experiences. After asking around, there does not appear to be any reports of issues following laser eye surgery. Unfortunately whilst we do endevour to ensure our eye trackers for as many different types of people as possible, there sometimes are those that have significantly great difficulties that others as you have already found out.

It might however be worth ensuring that you are not positioned next to a light source such as window or spot light to see if this has any effect on you trackability. If you are on a laptop, have a test around the house and let us know how it goes.

Stephen Rowley
    Participant

It’s not my lighting or anything. I have had 2 different people try my 4c and it worked fine for them. They used it and then I used it immediately after them. It has to be something about my face or eyes that causes the tracker to lose accuracy.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi Stephen, whilst we do continue to try and constantly improve our tracking algorithms, it remains unfortunately that there will still be certain individuals with whom trackability is an issue. If you are certain that environmental factors cannot be changed to yield any further improvement, I am afraid there is not much else you can do at the current time, however I hope that as new firmwmare releases are produced, there exists this may be resolved in the future. My apologies for the inconvenience.

Stephen Rowley
    Participant

Well that’s disappointing. Thankfully Amazon has a good return policy. Hopefully by the time eye tracking is more mainstream that whatever issue is causing this will be resolved.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.