Home Forums Unity SDK Eye tracking connection fails

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Gordon
    Participant

I posted this to a seemingly related thread in the Vive forums (https://forum.vive.com/topic/6482-vive-pro-eye-calibration-initialization-error-troubleshooting/page/5/), but I think this is a better place to seek support.

I’m seeing flaky connections preventing continuous eye tracking across two Vive Pro Eye devices, and two laptops, so this seems to be a software issue.

I’m running:
    SRanipalRuntime SDK Version: 1.3.2.0, Vive Pro Eye, and Tobii XR SDK 3.0.1, Unity 2021.1.24f1, Windows 10.

Eye tracking is super flaky. Can sometimes get it working using the TobiiXR_Initializer in our Unity scene, but even when working initially, after 30 seconds or so, we get a flood of disconnection messages (see below), and tracking reverts to the NoseDirectionProvider, or no eye tracking data is provided at all. In other cases, the connection fails immediately at startup.

The suggestions raised in the linked Vive thread haven’t helped. We run the runtime as administrator, and have tried starting SRanipal prior to opening unity, but the problem continues.

Any other suggestions or support would be greatly appreciated. This issue is now delaying a research project that was slated to begin data collection last week.

Many thanks,

Jeremy

Note: there seems to be a problem with the forums, as my posts and edits are getting rejected with message “Your topic cannot be edited at this time”. I’ve stripped out the stack trace for now, which seems to work.

Errors in stacktrace include “PRP_ERROR_ENUM_CONNECTION_FAILED”, “DEVICE_ERROR_CONNECTION_FAILED”, “TOBII_ERROR_CONNECTION_FAILED”

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @jrgordon, sorry to hear about your troubles. Can you confirm if you are trying to access streams simultaneously from the SRanipal SDK and XR SDK? There have been reports that this causes data capture issues. Try to access only the XR Stream and let us know if this issue persists.

Also, can you confirm if there are any issues using *only* the SRanipal SDK eye data stream? (ie without XR SDK installed)

Also worth checking is if you are adjusting (or adjusted) the 6dof tracking option as this may affect the eye data streams.

In the meantime, I will dig deeper to see if this issue has been reported in the past.

Jeremy Gordon
    Participant

Hi Grant,

Thanks for your response.

I guess I’m a little confused about the naming here.

I followed this setup guide (https://vr.tobii.com/sdk/develop/unity/getting-started/vive-pro-eye/#step-3-download-and-import-the-vive-sranipal-sdk) which includes steps to install:

1) SRanipal runtime
    2) OpenVR Unity plugin
    3) Tobii XR SDK for Unity

In my code I’m using the TobiiXR_Initializer prefab, and using TobiiXR.GetEyeTrackingData(TobiiXR_TrackingSpace.World) to get raw data, in addition to listening for focus changes using IGazeFocusable from Tobii.G2OM.

Can you clarify which SDK/streams I’m using based on this?
    And, if the “XR SDK” is a problem, how would I go about uninstalling it? Do I remove the “Tobii XR SDK for Unity” package from my project?

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Jeremy Gordon
    Participant

Adding image of stacktrace, in case it’s useful (since forums are still persistently denying including this in the post content).

Stacktrace

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @jrgordon, and thanks for the extra info. The first thing I would like you to try is to avoid using the XR SDK entirely and just follow the standard procedure for extracting eye tracking data via the Sranipal SDK and let’s see if the issue persists. This should allow us to identify more clearly where the issue lies. Thanks for your patience whilst we try to resolve the problem, best wishes.

Jeremy Gordon
    Participant

Hi Grant,

I’m still a little unclear on naming, and the documentation feels a bit scattered.
    I thought I was using the standard procedure for eye tracking with the SRanipal runtime.
    Could you link to sample code to access raw gaze data, G2OM, or both without using the XR SDK?

Thanks,
    Jeremy

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @jrgordon, as the approach I have recommended is necessarily one that does not involve the Tobii SW, then we do not directly provide links, but the VIVE forum does as has some SRanipal tutorial for getting started

https://forum.vive.com/topic/5642-sranipal-getting-started-steps/

Basically, the idea is that we see if connection issue arise using the stock SDK (Not Tobii XR SDK) and if they do, then this would require that you reach out directly to the manufacturer as it may indicate a hardware or firmware issue.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.