Home Forums Software Development Eye X and PC Eye Go

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

If I develop a PC game in Unity using the Eye X controller, will it be cross compatible with the PC eye Go? I plan to make eye gaze only games and want to know if my games will be playable with the PCEye Go as well. I thought I read that the EyeX engine is only compatible with the eyex controller but I was also under the impression that applications made for the eye x would be “playable” with other Tobii eye gaze hardware. Clarification please?

Jenny [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi Richard,

The PC Eye Go device itself is supported by the EyeX Engine, but the Tobii Dynavox interaction software that goes with the PC Eye Go eye tracker does not integrate well with the EyeX Engine. Depending on if the eye tracker is to be placed on a computer screen the same way that the EyeX Engine expects an EyeX Controller to be mounted, the calibration and screen setup will either be in conflict or work well for both systems.

I do not have an extensive documentation to point to, but I have written some about this previously on the forum. For example here: http://developer.tobii.com/community/forums/topic/pceye-go/#post-3503

Neither have I done any extensive investigation what actually should work or not. Tobii is devided into three separate business groups, and I work for Tobii Tech which develops the EyeX series of products. The Tobii PC Eye Go eye tracker is a product of the Tobii Dynavox business group. Cross usage of our software products is not formally tested or verified to work. The thing is that the hardware platform is the same for the PC Eye Go and the Tobii REX eye tracker, where the latter is a Tobii Tech product. And because EyeX supports the Tobii REX it also supports also the PC Eye Go tracker as far as hardware, firmware and drivers are concerned.

I kind of wish we didn’t say that EyeX supports the PC Eye Go, since it doesn’t on a system level (with both interaction softwares installed in parallell). On the other hand, it is possible to switch an EyeX eye tracker for a PC Eye Go eye tracker on a system set up with only the EyeX Engine running (but with device drivers for both eye trackers installed).

I hope this clarifies to some degree what the current situation is.

Okay, that clears it up for me thank you. I appreciate the feed back.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.