Home Forums Unreal Engine 4 SDK Getting “World Gaze Direction” out of screen bounds

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    CreatingWorlds
    Participant

Dear Tobii-Team,

I am developing an interactive installation where I need to read the Gaze Direction Vector when the user is looking out of the screen bounds. However, whenever I am looking besides the screen, the data is not updating anymore. Only facetracking data is being received. Is there any way to get “off-screen”-data? I was thinking of virtually expanding the monitor height and width, but I don’t know how I would do this.

Thank you in advance!

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @creatingworlds, can you kindly elaborate on which eye trackel model and SDK you are using please?

CreatingWorlds
    Participant

Hi Grant,
    thanks for replying. Here is the information:

EyeTracker: Tobii 5
    Unreal Version: 4.26
    SDK: 4.26.0.400

CreatingWorlds
    Participant

Push

Could anyone help me with this? I really only need a Gaze Direction Vector that permanently updates. Could I use the Stream SDK and push the data to my unreal project?

In the Stream documentation I only find the combined gaze direction as a variable for “wearable devices”. Is there something similar for Tobii 5 or are only gaze point and gaze origin accessible?

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @creatingworlds, the Tobii Eye Tracker 5 is setup initially by defining the screen size and parameters of the connected monitor. Any gaze data that lies outside this established boundary is necessarily reported as NULL as we cannot guarantee any accuracy outside the screen boundaries. In order to cover a larger area and retain Tobii data, you would need to use a larger screen size or at least use a large screen initially and perform a calibration and then replace with a smaller monitor which lies upon an identical plane.

You could also look at one of the free projects that calculate eye tracking based on webcam footage that could take over when the user gaze lies outside the screen boundaries?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.