Home Forums Unity SDK Link eye-tracking pointer to the mouse

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Anquetil
    Participant

Hello there,

First and foremost I am new to this forum, so I’d like to apologize if I’m asking the question at the wrong place. I’m working with Unity so I thought this section would do the job.

I have to work on Unity with HTC Vive Pro, to build an interface so that a user can interact with a 3D environment using only his eyes. Now, this should not be new on such a forum, but this is not my point.

Due to the current health situation around the World (I’m in France, and we’ve gone lockdown again since last friday) I cannot work at my school anymore. The issue is that means I cannot have the headset to work. So my question is simple : is there a way to kind of simulate the headset without actually having it ? In this specific situation, that would help me a lot. I recall that I work with Unity.

Regards,
    Thomas Anquetil

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @thomasaqtl, thanks for your enquiry.. Indeed you are in the right place to ask!

You will be please to know there is a mouse emulator we provide that can mimick the eye gaze data received which should satisfy your requirements:

You can read more about this @ https://vr.tobii.com/sdk/develop/unity/documentation/tobii-settings/#mouse-provider

Check it out and let us know how you get on. Best Wishes.

Thomas Anquetil
    Participant

Hi, thank you for your quick reply.

I’m a bit confused as to how to make it work with SteamVR. Because I have to use SteamVR but since I do not have headset it asks me to setup my headset, which I do not have. How to go around with this ?

Regards,
    Thomas Anquetil

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @thomasaqtl, could you kindly clarify exactly what SDK you are developing with? The above mentioned mouse-emulator tool is for use with the Tobii XR SDK and needs to be used within this environment.

Thomas Anquetil
    Participant

Hi, I apologize for being not clear. Let me be a little more specific.

Whatever the scene I’m working with (let’s say Example_HandEyeCoordination in TobiiXR examples), in Tobii XR_Initializer (from the Inspector), I put “Mouse” at the top, in the Eye Tracking Provider section, then I launch the game mode in Unity. BUT to work with Unity in VR I need a configured Headset in SteamVR to run the simulation. The problem is I have no headset. So I cannot event launch the game mode (well, actually I can, but nothing happens).

Is the Mouse Provider supposed to work only if a headset is used and only to replace the Eye Tracking device ?

I hope I have been clear this time.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @thomasaqtl, yes you are correct that the mouse emulator will only work in scene mode for simulating gaze data and does not emulate a camera in VR.

Additionallty, the Hand Eye Coordination scene specifically will not work without a VR setup and controls. So I’m afraid that to actually run the scene in a proper game mode, you will indeed need a regular VR Headset. Hopefully can operate effectively under these restrictions. Best Wishes.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.