Home Forums Eye Tracking Devices Linux vs windows difference

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    tmatsuzawa2
    Participant

Hello.

Finding the license issue (described in my separate posting) on Linux, I am also looking into what is available on Windows, with my 4C tracker.

I confess I have not looked into in depth, maybe I try Windows 10 IoT + UWP configuration?
    But before I go further I want to know if my situation changes on Windows.

On Linux (using the stream engine library), I can get the following information blocks from the API.

eye_position_normalized (2)
    user_presense
    device_info
    gaze_origin (2)
    track_box
    geometry_mounting
    display_area
    gaze_point (2)
    head_pose (1)
    url

The items marked (2) seems to be available only after I do calibration, calling calibration API, with proper license key.

head_pose can be obtained today, but just knowing head direction is not enough for my purpose.
    I want to detect wehere on the screen (or virtual screen pane) the user is watching.

(Though still not sure if doing so I am entering Tobii’s definition of “Analytical Use” area. By just knowing where the user is looking at, it means “stores or transfers eye tracking data”?)

Anyway:

Say, I write my app on Window 10 IoT + UWP, to drive 4C eye tracker, an I achieve such (knowing where the user is looking at), without additional license?
    If not, what kind of difference of the information/interaction I can get between Linux (alpha) and Windows driver offerings?

I have already tried the core driver setup on Windows desktop (it worked great by the way), but I want to avoid seeing the same result as Linux, after I code on Windows for several days.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @takashimatsuzawa and thanks for your query.

Regarding analytical use, so long as your application has the intention for use as an interaction application with no analysis or long term storage made of the gaze data itself, then you should be fine to continue as normal. If you would care to expand on the project intentions, that would be most helpful.

With respect to the data that is exposed with the Stream Engine on Windows vs Linux, there is no difference so you should be able to port your application (assuming you are using the c++ bindings) between the operating systems without much difficulty. That being said, porting a UWP application even in a virtual environment on Linux is not something officially supported or recommended.

Finally, yes we can confirm that a proper calibration is necessary to extract gaze data locations, as individual calibrations are highly variable so no “generic” calibration is supported.

Please let us know any further information we can provide for you. Best wishes.

tmatsuzawa2
    Participant

Hello, thank you very much for the comment, and now I fully understand the situation.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @takashimatsuzawa, your most welcome! If it’s possible for you to share your project publically after development @ https://developer.tobii.com/community/forums/forum/community-projects/ that would be greatly appreciated especially for the benefit of other users. Best Wishes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.