Home Forums Software Development Migration from Gaze SDK to EyeX SDK

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Schaefer
    Participant

Hi,
    I have some questions concerning the low level Gaze SDK and its alternatives.
    Is it right, that the Gaze SDK is official deprecated and the new 4C will not fully supported by it? If true, what are the alternatives?
    For some methods I couldn’t find an appropriate replacement in the EyeX SDK.
    – Is there a way to switch the eye tracker on and off? I mean, a cold start even if the user has deactivate the tracker by the switch in the Tobii software. We have to switch the red lights on and off within a user session.
    – How to integrate the calibration into the own software? We need control over the position and duration of the calibration dots. The only calibration function I found was the guest calibration. Is that right?
    In case there is no alternative to Gaze SDK, is there a official support plan how long Tobii will support existing Gaze SDK based software?
    Thank you in advanced!

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @chrisschaefer,

You are correct that the Gaze SDK is indeed deprecated and not supported by the 4C.

However, I can confirm that we are working on a new SDK platform which will indeed include such features as calibration customisation and deeper level control.

For the time being, I cannot be too specific with the details, but please check back regularly with us for further information.

Kalle Ruff
    Participant

Hello,
    I was also looking for a customized calibration (own design and wording), found some post about Gaze SDK, was confused by the presence of this site: http://developer.tobii.com/tobii-gaze-sdk-4-0-2/ and hoped for the Gaze SDK to be still active.
    I guess there is nothing I can do but keep checking?
    Would it be possible for you to post here, then I get an e-mail 🙂

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @kalleruff, Apologies however the Gaze SDK has now since been removed from public access. So yes, please check back with our site in the future for a related SDK which will allow custom calibrations.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Kalle Ruff
    Participant

Hi @grant-rogers,
    One more very important thing for us and our customer:
    Can you make an estimation, when the custom calibration will be integrated into the SDK?
    Thanks a lot in advance!

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @kalleruff, I am afraid that we cannot currently offer an exact time line for the integration but we are hoping for around Q1 2017.

Scott Valentine
    Participant

Hi @Grant

Q1 2017 has come and gone. Is the new integration expected to be available soon?

Alex [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi! The new low level API called Tobii Stream Engine is released:
    https://www.nuget.org/packages/Tobii.StreamEngine.Native/
    https://www.nuget.org/packages/Tobii.StreamEngine/

This is a low level API so please only use it if you know why you are doing it. Very little support is going to be provided.

Scott Valentine
    Participant

The documentation on the Nuget page does not appear to indicate any replacements or alternatives of the calibration setup functions that the GazeSDK provided. I am developing a game for young children, and it is very important I am able to run my own customized calibration routine, as the one built into the EyeX software is only suitable for adults.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @lakelobset (Scott). Thanks for your patience. Indeed it is possible to run a custom calibration using the the SDK however this requires a special licence to do so. Accordingly, could you kindly get in touch with Tobii Tech support directly and they should be able to determine how best to proceed. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Schaefer
    Participant

Hi @Grant, has the new SDK the possibility to switch the eye tracker on and off?

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @chrisscahaefer, thanks for you patience, I needed to confirm that in fact we have not exposed that functionality in the new Core SDK since it can affect other running apps.

For example, If you would turn tracking off and start another app, it would still be off.

My apologies for the inconvenience.

Kalle Ruff
    Participant

Hello Grant,
    so am I right, that for a custom calibration I will have contact the tech support to get a licence to use the SDK, that will probably not have an example of a custom calibration, right? And most certainly, the Unity examples will to have a custom calibration, right?

Alex [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi! Yes, we have an example for Unity as well. Just pm me your email and describe your project.

Kalle Ruff
    Participant

HOORAY!

Sent you a PM

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.