Home Forums Eye Tracking Devices Tobii 4C Eye Tracker on Linux

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Christos Tzelepis
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I just bought a Tobii 4C eye tracker and I would like to start experimenting with it. I would like to use the eye tracker in a development mode; that is, I want to have access to gaze and head pose data. My main issue is that I work on Linux and I wouldn’t like to migrate to Windows at all :). I noticed that the Tobii Core SDK does not provide any support for linux so far, but here it states that support for Stream Engine API is “coming soon” for linux. Is there any info about how soon will that be?

In any case, is there any way of getting started on Linux? Could you lend a hand?

Many thanks for your help in advance.
    Best,
    Christos

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @chi0tzp, thanks for your query. Please let me get in touch with the developers to see if there is an early beta for you to test.

Christos Tzelepis
    Participant

Hi @grant-rogers, thank you for your prompt response. It would be nice if I could work even on an early beta version; I would be glad to provide some useful feedback as a tester too.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @chi0tzp, thanks for your patience. Unfortunately, at this time the Linux variant of the Stream Engine has deemed not yet ready for public release. Exceptions may be made in special use case scenarios however generally we are not yet willing to role out the software for Beta Testing at this time.

That being said, please PM any project details you might have and I will pass them along. My apologies for the disappointing news.

Christos Tzelepis
    Participant

Hi @grant-rogers, thank you very much for your reply. I’ll send you a PM with some thoughts.

Christopher Reay
    Participant

do you have a vague timeframe?

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @christopherreay, apologies but the Linux variant for the Tobii Core SDK Stream Engine API is still not available for public release. That being said, we may be interested in having advanced users test the software if appropriate.

If this interests you, please PM with your Development Goals and a little bio and I would be happy to pass along your details to the development team.

Paul Sheer
    Participant

Hello,

Thank you for looking into Linux support.

I am interested in testing this software as well as developing support for popular IDEs for Linux, so that Tobii might in the future have a strong Linux customer base.

This will allow developers — who edit text all day — to do so more efficiently, for instance being able to highlight text with your eyes or move the cursor with their eyes.

Would Tobii be willing to let me test out this software? I would be happy to sign a non-disclosure agreement if you require.

Would I be able to get a direct contact to discuss this further please?

Kind regards

Paul Sheer –

https://www.amazon.com/LINUX-Rute-Users-Tutorial-Exposition/dp/0130333514/

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @paulsheer, thanks for your query. I am afraid for the time being if you wish to use the Tobii Tech range of Eye Trackers under Linux then it will be necessary to use the Linux drivers as provided in the Tobii Pro SDK.

Whilst the Tobii Pro SDK is itself available free of charge and works without configuration on the Tobii Pro range of eye trackers, you will need to purchase a special licence to operate it in conjunction with a 4C or EyeX Tracker.

If this still appeals to you, then please send a speculative email to [email protected] and they should be able to provide you a quote.

Paul Sheer
    Participant

Hi Grant,

Thanks for that information.

Do you know if this product will work on Linux with the Tobii Pro SDK? —

https://www.tobiidynavox.com/en-US/devices/eye-gaze-devices/pceye-mini-track-learn-gaze-point-viewer/

Is there any other standalone product that is not a laptop that is ready-to-go on Linux with the Tobii Pro SDK?

Paul

Paul Sheer
    Participant

Hi Grant,

The email address [email protected] returns a “Unknown To address” error.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Sorry about that Paul, please PM and I will FW your email.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @paulsheer, apologies with the email problem however the issue has now been resolved and [email protected] is up again.

With regard to query regarding Linux for Tobii Dynavox PCEye Mini, As this tracker belongs to another business department, to be absolutely certain this hardware will work with the Tobii Pro SDK, I would please ask you to contact Tobii Pro Support @ https://www.tobiipro.com/contact/support/ who should be able to confirm for you whether this setup if feasible.

A member from Tobii sales will contact you shortly with a quote for the Tobii Pro SDK. Thanks for your patience.

Axtux
    Participant

Hello,

I want to make mouse interactions faster on my computer using an eye tracker. I’m currently running Ubuntu 18.04. This seems possible using CoreSDK and Stream API but I’m not sure which device could work on Linux. Any news about 4C on Linux? If not, which device could be compatible?

Regards,
    Axtux

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @axtux, thanks for your query. In fact the Stream Engine API on Linux should work great with your 4C! So please download the SDK @ https://developer.tobii.com/consumer-eye-trackers/stream-engine/getting-started/ to get started and please let us know how you get on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.