Home Forums Eye Tracking Devices Tobii EyeX Linux?

Tagged: , , ,

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Suhyung
    Participant

Sorry for multiple posts, I wish I could edit my post..
    When I am installing tobiiusbservice.deb, I get: update-rc.d: warning: start and stop actions are no longer supported; falling back to defaults
    So I guess this is not getting installed and this is what was causing all these problems… So… could you provide another .deb file so I can make this tobii driver recognizable?

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @my5tery, thanks for your patience whilst I conferred with the developers. Unfortunately, I can now confirm that indeed the Tobii Stream Engine API for linux only support the Tobii IS4 eye tracker and not the EyeX I am afraid.

Apologies that we did not clarify this sooner for you, I will adjust the landing page to make this more clear in the future.

Accordingly, for development on the EyeX, you will need to stick with Microsoft Windows. I hope this does not cause you undue inconvenience. Thanks for your understanding.

Suhyung
    Participant

Thank you for the clarification.
    Please if you are going to support in any way EyeX for linux in the near future, let me know. I will be working with windows until then.
    Also, I would try IS4 eye tracker if the price is similar to EyeX.

Thank you again.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @my5tery, thanks for your understanding. As the EyeX is now deprecated technology I am afraid that support on this platform for Linux is highly unlikely especially as the EyeX requires a powered USB3 Port and a more complicated driver software making implementation difficult.

Regarding pricing, the Tobii 4C currently retails at 169 EUR however it may worth your time reaching out the sales department @ https://help.tobii.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to see if there is a possibility of a special discounted price as an upgrade from your EyeX. Best Wishes.

Suhyung
    Participant

About the Tobii 4C, as you mentioned it, the driver that I was trying to use for Linux, does it work for Tobii 4c? I saw that it works for tobii IS4, which is not for sale. But is the Tobii 4c the official version of tobii IS4? If so, I would purchase that one. I really need to integrate this for Linux, since I have already done the works with windows and I want some improvements

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @my5tery, yes exactly. the Tobii 4C is built upon the IS4 architecture and so therefore offers compatibility with Linux.

Suhyung
    Participant

Thank you, then I will try with Tobii 4C.
    But still, I had problems while I was trying to install the usbservice.deb file and the other requilred .deb file for linux. So, even though they are compatible with Tobii 4c, I don’t think it would work properly.
    The problem that I had is that it installed but in few seconds, they were just disappeared. Is this supposed to be like this? So I cannot see them on installed add-ons in Linux? I can only see the config program which seems to be more stable.
    If this is normal, I will just buy Tobii 4c then!

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @my5tery, I tried to reproduce any installation issues following your setup on ubuntu 16.04 but the DEB Files all installed correctly for me. So long as the tobii config can be ran and that drivers are properly installed, all should work as expected but of course, this is only applicable to a Tobii 4C Eye Tracker.

osivue
    Participant

please does the eyeX tracker not work on ubuntu 16.04, I have been trying unsuccessfully for months to use it on ubuntu 16.04

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @randolphosivue, sorry to hear about your issues however if you are referring to the Tobii Stream Engine API (https://developer.tobii.com/consumer-eye-trackers/stream-engine/) then I am afraid that at this time the only supported tracker is the Tobii 4C.

Unfortunately, we do not offer a public SDK in using the EyeX with Linux. Our apologies for the inconvenience.

Job
    Participant

Could you please post a download link for the drivers?
    I’m trying to run the 4c on Arch and the software seems to work with small config fixes.

But the device has no drivers, and I cannot find them anywhere.
    Don’t care if they are Ubunto packed, I can try to fix them for other distro’s.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @jmvermeulen, thanks for your query. The 4C linux drivers are included as part of the Tobii Stream Engine package which you can download @

Tobii Core Software for Linux

Stream Engine 3.3.0 for Linux x64

Please bear in mind however, they for the time being we only support Ubuntu 16.04 so we cannot guarantee operability on any other Linux platform.
    That being said, please do try it out and let us know how you get on! Best wishes.

JK
    Participant

Does IS5 also supports MacOS and Linux now?
    The description sheet said that there are the drives on request, but that’s the only information …

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @ipsych, thanks for your query. Yes the Linux & MacOS operating systems are supported with the IS5.

If you would like to request the possibility to test out the relevant software, please send a request to https://tech.tobii.com/contact/ detailing your project intentions and a member of our team will get back to you. Best Wishes.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.