Home Forums Software Development Tobii Interaction API bug

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Hongbin Zou
    Participant

Hi,

I’m using Win10 and my system language is Chinese. I have found a situation where the C# Tobii.Interaction API may stop responding to eye gazes.

The bug occurs when I click the keyboad switch button in the taskbar. You can see what’s that like in the image below:
    https://ibb.co/HNGj7GX

My application is WPF based and when the keyboad switch menu pops up, Gaze related behaviours like gazeaware or activate seems all gone, nothing happens no matter how long I look at the button I mark as gazeaware. But as soon as I click the the keyboad switch button again to hide the keyboad switch menu, everthing works again.

I believe this is a bug, and it’s very easy to reproduce at least with a Chinese Win10 system. Just install two language packs/keyboards (Chinese and English), the keyboad switch button will appear in the taskbar.

Please have a check, thanks!

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @dragonus, thank you for this information. We shall create the appropriate bug report and liaise with the developers for consideration. Our apologies for this inconvenience.

By the way, does the Tobii Interaction Software also stop when you switch keyboards or is this only happening in your own application?

Hongbin Zou
    Participant

>>>does the Tobii Interaction Software also stop when you switch keyboards or is this only happening in your own application?

You mean the Tobii tray icon menu? sorry I am not sure, because Tobii menu and keyboad switch menu never pop up simutaneously, one appears and another will hide. I can still see my eye positions shown correctly in the taskbar though.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

@ Okay, thank you for the confirmation that the regular Tobii software continues to work after switching keyboards. Could you kindly run our c# sample @
    https://tobiitech.github.io/interaction-library-docs/sdk/html/sample_streams_cs.html and let us know if the issue persists please?

This will help us to reproduce the issue in house, thanks for your understanding.

Hongbin Zou
    Participant

There seems no issue when running code from sample_streams_cs.html. Gaze points are always valid.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Thanks for that, good to know.. So it would therefore seem that the issue is related directly to your application design and not the Tobii Interaction API itself.

Accordingly, my suggestion would be to see how much of the code from your existing project you can transfer to operate on top of the Tobii produced c# sample which works. I am afraid that the detailed debugging of user project code is beyond the scope of this forum.

Please try it out and let us know how you get on.

Hongbin Zou
    Participant

Sorry, but it must be a bug, there’s a clear misunderstanding in your reply. Let me clarify.

First, by “Tobii.Interaction” I mean the nuget package I installed directly from Visual Studio. Although the name of it says “Tobii.Interaction”, It’s not the “Interaction library (beta?)” that you asked me to test. I don’t even know this beta library exists before your post. Now I checked again on Tobii’s website and github repos, so the nuget package I downloaded should be called as “CoreSDK”, and the title of this post should actually be “CoreSDK bug”, am I right now? Why you name the CoreSDK package “Tobii.Interaction” in Nuget when there is another beta library with a similar name? This can cause confusion easily.

OK, Now I will rephrase the bug in the CoreSDK package. I’ve never heard of and never used the “Interaction Library Beta”, just forget it.

The bug is obvious using your example:

Getting Started

When the keyboad switch menu I described above pops up, The window never turns magneta no matter where I look. Try it yourselves.

What’s more, Checking datapoints is not a good idea for this bug, or even totally irrelevant, because when keyboad switch menu pops up and window stops changing colors, I can still receive gaze data points correctly. I guess the keyboad switch menu acts as a fullscreen occluder in your gaze hittesting mechanism, but I don’t know.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi Hongbin, thank you for the clarification, When I read your original post and with reference to the “C# Tobii Interaction API” I understood you meant our newer Interaction API Library offering that I had asked you to test.

Yes, The SDK you are currently using is referred to as the ‘Tobii Core SDK’. Unfortunately, you may have seen that this project is now deprecated and has not been updated since 2017. Accordingly, no resources are allocated for its maintenance and we now recommend all users migrate to the Interaction Library API.

A significant number of bugs and feature enhancements have gone into this newer Interaction Library API (including the bug you have already identified) so we must recommend therefore that you attempt to port the code across. Sorry that we did not clarify sooner, however this is the only course of action we can recommend for your situation. Thanks for your understanding.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.