Home Forums Unity SDK Unity SDK – Eye Blink Detection

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Andrija Stepic
    Participant

Greetings

I tried out the whole UnitySDK api yesterday,
    and to my knowledge, there is no way to detect single eye position, or state
    with the current version of the SDK.

I found a public repository of an Unity game for a game jam from 2 years ago
    (https://github.com/NGJ2015/Blink/tree/master/Assets)
    which allegedly used EyeX sdk and .net, and had eye blink detection.

I couldn’t adapt their unity project / code to Unity5.5.2f1 (which I successfully used with the latest UnitySDK and Tobii tracker) or the current TobiiTrackerSDK version, I kept getting this exception.
    EyeX initialization failed because the client access library ‘Tobii.EyeX.Client.dll’ could not be loaded. Please make sure that it is present in the Unity project directory. You can find it in the SDK package, in the lib/x86 directory. (Currently only Windows is supported.)
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    EyeXHost:InitializeEyeX() (at Assets/Standard Assets/EyeXFramework/EyeXHost.cs:472)
    EyeXHost:Start() (at Assets/Standard Assets/EyeXFramework/EyeXHost.cs:219)

Is there any way to get the eye blink / eye closed / eye position detection with the current UnitySDK, or is it planned to be added in future versions?

Thank you, and have a nice day.

Andrija Stepić

Alex [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi!

We don’t recommend using the old SDK and we don’t support it. I would suggest to stick to the latest Tobii Unity SDK version.

Regrading single eye states and blink detection – unfortunately, it’s not supported in the latest SDK version since we don’t recommend using it for interaction. Users’s eyes easily get tired from constant intentional blinking and it doesn’t make a pleasant experience even though it might look cool as a concept.

Laura
    Participant

Hi!!!

Andrija I was about to use also de Blink Detection but i reached the same conclusion that Alex and user can get tired.

I have still to make some experiments but my idea is to use the head rotation and detect a key position of the head to trigger events.

If you want to interact by blink detection maybe you will want to combine Tobii with Neurosky whose SDK has a blink detection (or that is what my boss told me).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.