[Solved] USB C adapter not working.

Home Forums Eye Tracking Devices [Solved] USB C adapter not working.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Booijink
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’m having problems with the Tobii 4C when it’s connected to a tablet through USB-C, it works fine when connected to a desktop. I’m developing an application and I would like to use it on a tablet so I can carry it around the house.
    Now the problem is it randomly disconnects after a certain amount of time and sometimes it won’t connect at all. At first I thought it was a power issue but according to the usb-c specs it should be able to supply enough power (power save features turned off), and given it sometimes works for an hour straight I suppose it’s not the issue. I also tried a different usb-c adapter and that didn’t solve things either. Different software version did the same thing and all of the drivers are up to date.

It’s a Lenovo Miix 320 running the latest update of Windows 10.

Thanks in advance!

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @thomas6886, apologies for the delay in response, I had tried to reproduce your issues. In fact the 4C should work fine with USB-C standard, however after investigating across a number of different sites (Amazon, laptopmag, etc) it seems that the Lenovo Miix 320 USB-C port is *data transfer only* and does not support powered devices… so I am quite sure this is the cause of the problem unfortunately.

Thomas Booijink
    Participant

Hi Grant,

Thanks for your thorough research, I really appreciate the fact that Tobii support actually tries to help.
    I guess I’ll have to buy a new tablet then, may I ask which tablets are known to work? (For example tablets that are used with testing at Tobii).

The only thing I’m curious about is the fact that sometimes it does work, I guess it’s right on the edge of the power limit then?

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @thomas6886, you are quite welcome! Sorry about the pain to return the tablet.

In fact, so long as the tablet is reasonably modern (<2 years) and has a powered USB port, we should expect no issues to arise in conjunction with the 4C Eye Tracker. I know several users run with Microsoft Surface Tablet quite well.

I am afraid we do not maintain a list of supported tablets at this time as indeed, *most* are quite reliable!

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.