Home Forums Game Integration vJoy Calibration wth Elite Dangerous

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ian Wells
    Participant

I got my EyeX yesterday and had it working in E:D within a few minutes.

However, today it works looking up and down, but not left and right.
    If I look to the extreme right the view twists full right and only returns when I hit the reset headlook button in E:D

If I run vJoy monitor when E:D is running, I can see movement on the Y-Axis bar when I look up/down, but the X-Axis bar remains empty unless I look to the extreme right.

It seems like a calibration error, but I can’t see how to reset it.

I’ve tried uninstalling and re-installing InfiniteScreen a couple of times, but the calibration setting seems to be rememebered.

Is there any way to re-calibrate vjoy? Any other suggestions?

I’m on Windows 10 x64.
    InfiniteScreen 1.0.2.317
    Tobii EyeX:-
    Core 2.0.9
    Driver 2.0.4
    Service 1.8.20.6012
    Engine 1.8.20.6012
    Config 3.2.6.347
    Interaction 2.03.2260

Simon
    Participant

How did you get infinite screen to run? I am running Windows 10 and when logged in as a standard user it will not run, just throws up and error.

As of now, ISE needs to be run “As Administrator”.

I got my EyeX yesterday and had it working in E:D within a few minutes.

However, today it works looking up and down, but not left and right.
    If I look to the extreme right the view twists full right and only returns when I hit the reset headlook button in E:D

If I run vJoy monitor when E:D is running, I can see movement on the Y-Axis bar when I look up/down, but the X-Axis bar remains empty unless I look to the extreme right.

It seems like a calibration error, but I can’t see how to reset it.

I’ve tried uninstalling and re-installing InfiniteScreen a couple of times, but the calibration setting seems to be rememebered.

Is there any way to re-calibrate vjoy? Any other suggestions?

ISE attempts to verify that the VJoy device #1 is the only vJoy device and that all parameters of that device are properly set up. To make sure that the vJoy device has not entered a “broken state” you can shut down ISE (right click on the systray icon and click “Quit”) and then reset vJoy by running “Configure vJoy” and click “Reset All”. ISE should correctly recreate the vJoy device on startup.

Also, make sure that your EyeX is working properly and has been properly calibrated.

Ian Wells
    Participant

Hello Henrik – Thanks for your reply.

I can confirm that the EyeX is working properly in windows before I run E:D – and gaze tracking continues to work properly when E:D is running.

I have followed your instructions above, however, when vJoy is reset and I run ISE again, I hear the USB disconnect, and reconnect sounds, but the ISE interface does not appear. ISE appears in Task Manager but nothing in the system tray.
    I can “end task” ISE from Task Manager and then restart it, and the interface then appears.

When I run E:D and select headlook, the view immediately flips to the lower far left hand side of the cockpit.
    When I reset headlook in E:D, the view centres and stays there as long as my gaze remains centered.
    If I look up or down, even slightly, the view flips to the far top or far bottom of the screen.

If i look slightly left or right, the screen shows no movement. However if I look to the absolute left or right, the screen flips to the extreme left or right of the cockpit – this screen flipping between the exteremes very quickly induces nausea.

The EyeX is plugged directly into a USB 3.0 port on the computer. I also have a keyboard / mouse / X52Pro joystick plugged into a USB 3.0 extender, which is plugged into a second USB 3.0 port on the computer.
    The MadCatz X52POro Windows 10 x64 drivers are also installed.

Do you have any other suggestions, that will bring this to a quick resolution? I don’t get much time to play E:D, and I have so far spent over 5Hrs of what time I do have trying to get the EyeX to work. As you can imagine, this is becoming very frustrating.

Regards,
    Ian

Ian Wells
    Participant

In addition to the above, when I run vJoy monitor at the same time as E:D I can see that the X and Y axis indicators do not move smoothly along with my gaze movements. It therefore still seems like ISE is not properly passing the EyeX gaze position through to vJoy or that the vJoy calibration is not correct.

I have run joy.cpl whilst E:D is running to see whether I could re-calibrate in the settings tab, however, whilst I could get some movement of the “+” to appear, again no matter where my gaze travelled, the “+” jumped mostly around the edges of the calibration box.

I tried using the “Reset to Default” button in the joy.cpl settings panel, then watching the vJoy monitor as I started E:D.
    Initially the X and Y axes are both set at 50%. Once E:D starts, the Y axis gradually drifts down, no matter where my gaze is.

The X axis, now moves in accordance with my up/down gaze.
    In-game, the up/down tracking now seems to be correct, and is adapted correctly by the ISE sensitivity settings.

The Y axis remains fixed at 0. However, switching my gaze to the far left or right will immediately swing the view to the lowest left or right hand side of the cockpit.

Do you have any other suggestions, that will bring this to a quick resolution?

Are you logged in as a standard user? You currently have to run ISE as administrator. Please try following the steps described in this post (do not skip any steps even if you’ve done them before):
    http://developer.tobii.com/community/forums/topic/some-feedback/page/2/#post-4333

If this doesn’t help then please do not hesitate to contact support. So far we’ve been very successful at resolving issues over a remote desktop session.

I don’t get much time to play E:D, and I have so far spent over 5Hrs of what time I do have trying to get the EyeX to work. As you can imagine, this is becoming very
    frustrating.

I completely get it. I know exactly how frustrating and infuriating it can be when your get stuck with a piece of tech that you’re excited about (happens way too often). Never really pictured myself of “the other end” of that situation to be honest :P. I’m really amazed by the interest in the EyeX and ISE from the E:D community, it’s so cool to see that all your ideas and work as turned out to be something that people are really excited about. Not so cool when your software disappoints though. I can only thank you for being so patient.

We’re working hard to fix the know bugs and issues and also to further improve and expand ISE. The shear surge of users has us a bit overwhelmed but I’m sure we’ll get there. Please bear with us.

Ian Wells
    Participant

Thanks for your response Henrik, and on a Saturday too!

The only user on the machine I’m using is a member of the local administrators group, and I have run ISE both from the shortcut as installed and specifically “As Administrator” with the same results.

I have follwed the link you references in our message, which seems to specifically reset vJoy, and then initiate the update of ED the bindings configuration file.

I can confirm that my bindings file has been properly updated, as I checked the file against the settings you posted in another thread.

I have now got head tracking working with EyeX when looking up/down, so we know that all the parts are in place – it now just seems to be some issue between the EyeX, ISE and vJoy, as the proper values left/right are not being received by vJoy.

Apologies for spamming this forum, but I thought this was for support purposes.
    I have submitted a support request, referencing this thread, so hopefully we can arrange a remote session together to get this sorted.

Ian

Ian Wells
    Participant

I think I understand now where my problem with the configuration is occurring, and I though I’d share.

I run Elite Dangerous on a laptop with a second screen attached.
    I normally run an extended desktop with the laptop display as primary and additional screen as secondary, with Elite Dangerous displaying on the secondary in a borderless window.

By changing this to show the additional screen as primary and laptop built-in display as secondary, with Elite Dangerous displaying on the primary display, The EyeX is now working properly on both axes.

Phew!

I guess there is some code inside the EyeX software package somewhere that got confused with my normal screen setup, and thought the I was gazing far to the side, instead at the centre of the screen?

I think I understand now where my problem with the configuration is occurring, and I though I’d share.

I run Elite Dangerous on a laptop with a second screen attached.
    I normally run an extended desktop with the laptop display as primary and additional screen as secondary, with Elite Dangerous displaying on the secondary in a borderless window.

By changing this to show the additional screen as primary and laptop built-in display as secondary, with Elite Dangerous displaying on the primary display, The EyeX is now working properly on both axes.

Phew!

I guess there is some code inside the EyeX software package somewhere that got confused with my normal screen setup, and thought the I was gazing far to the side, instead at the centre of the screen?

The EyeX must be mounted on your primary screen. I hope this is clearly explained in the EyeX installation guide.

Ian Wells
    Participant

The terms “Primary” and “Secondary” may be misleading here, let me try to make it a little clearer :-

In Windows 10, I right-click on the desktop, select “Graphics Options” from the context menu, then “Output to”, then “Extended Desktop”. From here I have two options 1- “Built-in Display + Digital Display” or 2- “Digital Display + Built-in Display”
    I normally use option 1- “Built-in Display + Digital Display”.

The EyeX is mounted on the digital display which is plugged into my laptop.
    When setting up the EyeX I ensureded the “Display Setup” was showing on the digital display and adjusted the two markers on the screen to match the lines on the EyeX device.
    The EyeX setup works correctly, I popped the dots and everything – all on my digital display.

So in your comment “The EyeX must be mounted on your primary screen“, I assume you mean is the EyeX attached to the monitor that I am looking at?
    And my answer is obviously yes, because otherwise I wouldn’t have even got the EyeX software properly configured.

However, in this configuration, ED is configured to run on what _it_ terms as the “secondary” (which is the digital display and the one that I’m looking at with the EyeX attached), and in this configuration I got up/down headtracking, but no left/right head tracking.

Now, by changing the windows configuration to option 2- “Digital Display + Built-in Display”, and Elite Dangerous to run on what _it_ terms the “primary” (which is _still_ the digital display and the one I’m looking at with the EyeX attached), I get both up/down and left-right head tracking in E:D

The only other interpretation that I can make on your comment about the “The EyeX must be mounted on your primary screen” would be that the EyeX must be mounted on the laptop display itself, which is clearly not the case, as the EyeX itself works perfect well in the digital display.

So, I can only assume that something in the EyeX or ISE software is not properly catering for the Windows option 1 configuration.

Ok, that makes much more (or actually less) sense.

Interesting. I’ll make sure to have a look.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.