Home Forums Software Development Wifi disconnects when putting EyeX under the screen

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Schaefer
    Participant

Hi,

we are developing a software for the EyeX. In the last month we tested the EyeX with several desktop pcs and notebooks. By testing we found major wifi problems using a DELL XPS 13 and a Lenovo IdeaPad U430 in combination with the EyeX. Every time, when one put the eye tracker on the magnetic plate under the screen, the wifi connection breaks and disconnects. No matter if the EyeX is turned on or off. I don’t believe that our own software part influences somehow the network connection.
    Does anyone else have similar problems?

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @chrisschaefer,

May I ask how windows reports this? ie does connection manager show the adapter as disabled? or simply disconnected?

I don’t suppose there is a chance that the EyeX is touching the WiFi button that sometimes occurs at the top of laptops?

Schaefer
    Participant

The wifi connection is getting very weak and disconnects randomly. There is no wifi button or something else involved. The adapter is all the time enabled. I have observed, that when I take the EyeX from the iron plate and put the eye tracker loose on the keyboard, the wifi connection is getting stronger and the internet access comes back again.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @chrisscaefer, I have spoken with a number of colleagues regarding and this is the first such behaviour observed.

The only thing I can think of for right now is that you use a USB dongle for Wifi. If there is a chance to use some thin seperating plate of plastic between the EyeX and laptop, that might also be worth trying.

Schaefer
    Participant

@Grant, thank you for your response!

We use no USB dongle. We use the build-in wifi card. Since some days there is the same error on a DELL XPS 15″. That means the wifi connection is influenced on 3 different notebook models we have in use (DELL XPS 13, DELL XPS 15, Lenovo IdeaPad U430).
    In order to exclude our own software as source of the fault we could reproduce the behavior by connecting the EyeX, fix it on the iron plate and turn it on with the EyeX-engine-software. No other software was involved. As work around, we place the EyeX without any fixation on the notebook’s keyboard. Unfortunately, this is very fragile and not optimal.
    Do you have a more accurate pointer to the “plate of plastic” approach? Perhaps a 3D model for printing it? I’m very grateful for any information. We have 20 EyeX in intensive use and the wifi problem is very serious for us. Our sales colleague already needed a new notebook model because of this.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @chrisscaefer,

Due to the serious nature of this issue and the number of units you work with, a Tobii representative will reach out to you personally to discuss how best to proceed here.

Schaefer
    Participant

@Grant Some weeks ago, I sent to Tobii all the info with additional videos of this problem. Is there any progress on your side? Today, we got a new Surface Pro 4. We unboxed the device and installed the Tobii EyeX on it. No other software was installed on the Surface Pro and we have the same wifi problem as described above. See this video:

We really need a solution for this!!

Schaefer
    Participant

Oops, links are not allowed. Just search for “Tobii EyeX breaks Wifi on Microsoft Surface Pro 4” on YouTube.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @chrisscaefer,

I will ask the R&D to get in touch with their feedback on that particular issue. One thing, I wondered.. can you setup
    your wifi router to operate on 5GHz?

Does the issue persist under those conditions?

Schaefer
    Participant

I have checked all wifi routers I have access to and none of them operate on 5GHz. All models are 2,4 GHz only.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @chrisscaefer,

Sorry for the delay, we have been trying to replicate your issue here.

We have tried with the EyeX and a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 with Wi-Fi 2,4 and 5 GHz and unable to reproduce the issue.

The other laptops you had apparently had the same problem or was it only occuring when the EyeX was placed on the screen?

I just wonder whether there may be an electrical issue with the EyeX itself..

Schaefer
    Participant

Hi @Grant,

I just bought a 5 GHz Route and my first tries look promising. At least the Surface Pro 4 worked today in the 5 GHz wifi.
    Nevertheless, this is no solution for us. Our EyeX software is aimed at the consumer market. In Germany only a small minority of consumers have a 5 GHz wifi at home.
    I can exclude, that there is an electrical issue with the EyeX itself. As I wrote above, we have 20 EyeX in heavy use and get reports of the wifi disconnection problem from different places, notebook models and wifi settings. Either our entire shipment has an electrical problem or there is a general problem. I can offer you to send you one of our EyeX back, so that you can investigate in the problem with an EyeX of our shipment.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @chrisscaefer,

Okay, thanks for the update. Good to know that there is at least some workaround, however of course we need to investigate
    in detail the HW and SW setups you have with EyeX Connection Problems.

To that end, one of the support staff will get in touch to pursue this matter further.

Schaefer
    Participant

Hi @Grant,

today, we got a report of the wifi disconnection problem from an associate of us. He demonstrates our software in very different environments with different EyeX models. He said that the wifi problem appears in every second place.
    Is there any news from your side?
    Can you say something to the 4C concerning this problem? Perhaps the 4C does something better than the EyeX which prevent the wifi disconnection?

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @chrisscaefer,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Indeed, the underlying reason for this disconnection issue has now been resolved in the Tobii 4C Eye Tracker.

Unfortunately, due to the nature of the problem (ie hardware based) there is little one can do on existing EyeX Units to rectify the issue other than using a 5Ghz Wifi router which consistently has shown to be an effective solution.

Apologies there is not further recommendations we can provide.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.