Home Forums Feature Requests feat Dual Screen / Multi Screen support

This topic contains 47 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  Grant [Tobii] 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 46 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Tridy
    Participant

I am pretty sure think that the field of view from each eye tracker will overlap with each other and that will give you unpredictable results.

Theoretically, if it would be possible to make every eye trackers aware of each other and sync/calibrate in terms of which one is active for the particular area, that I believe could work. Sounds to me like it could be done on the software level, but I do not think it is possible at the moment. The same could apply for the ultra-wide curved monitors.

As a starting point for that, how would Windows handle 2 eye trackers connected to the same PC? Is it possible to address a particular eye tracker for lets say calibration? And on the API level, is it possible to intercept the coordinates from two eye trackers, process them and then forward as if it were one eye tracker or similar?

Kenny Holmes
    Participant

Hi,
    I am just wondering if there has been any movement on this?

Even if additional trackers were required then I think most people would be up for this.

I get sore wrists with how much I use PCs and the eye tracker takes the bulk of that movement away, solving the problem. The eye tracker is not cheap, but thats no problem compared to the discomfort without it. I have dual screens at work and at home. I would be getting trackers for all of them if multi monitor support was an option.

If its still not high enough up the priority list is it worth a kickstarter?

I can also report that a single eye tracker will almost track the range of both my screens. I have 2 x 27″ screens running at 4k. If I setup Nvidia Surround then the eye tracker works across both screens. This isn’t really practical for me because it means there is a bevel in the middle of any window that comes up. The eye tracker is obviously capable of tracking this region. Its a software limitation that it cannot be calibrated to do it when setup as separate display areas.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @brotherkennyh, thanks for your query. In fact, we are currently working on providing multi-monitor support into our next generation of eye trackers but this will not apply unfortunately to the current commercially available range of consumer eye trackers (4C, Eyex)

Accordingly, please keep an eye on Tobii announcements on our website for upcoming details.

One possible workaround you could consider (which is not officially supported!) if you have the hardware could be to place two computers side by side each with an eye tracker connected running a singular keyboard and mouse shared via software such as Synergy Plus. However even in this scenario, there may be infrared interference from the parallel trackers that could affect performance.

Viewing 3 posts - 46 through 48 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.