Home Forums Software Development Using the Tobii Eye Tracker 4C in an old RTS game?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    DrMonaLisa
    Participant

Hi. Yesterday I received my Tobii Eye Tracker 4C. I didn’t have much time to read all the FAQ pages yet, so please forgive me if my questions are obvious.

I’m developing an Unofficial Patch for an old RTS game (Empire Earth 2). I have a separate C++ Launcher program that tweaks the game, fixes common problems, etc.
    I wanted to achieve the following: The Launcher program would detect if the game is currently maximized, get data from the Eye Tracker and simulate arrows key presses to scroll the camera on borders/corners.
    I have done a similar thing for the camera rotation after pressing the middle mouse button.

I’m not sure if I understood correctly, but using the data from Eye Tracker requires a special “analytical use licence”? Even with a license, would I then be allowed to share it to all users, with the unofficial patch update? Do my willingness make any sense, or I should rather give up?

Or maybe there already are third-party programs that can do the things I want (simulating arrows keys when looking at the certain area)?

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @drmonalisa and thanks for your query. So long as your intentions for development are for interaction only, and you are not going to store the gaze data for long term use, then you do not need to worry about purchasing an analytical use license.

Certainly, your project intentions sound very interesting! In fact, we are aware of a program that provides gaze aware zones called Project IRIS (http://iris.xcessity.at/) the development has been halted for a while, but It may still suit your needs?

In terms of sharing your code, again so long as the intention is not for analysis or storage, then you are permitted to share your code freely online including the Tobii DLL as appropriate.

Please do let us know if we can provide any further information.

DrMonaLisa
    Participant

Thank you for the reply! I’ll check the Project IRIS software later.
    I still would like to integrate it with the compiled game launcher program, to be available for free, for all users.
    Could you please guide me, which SDK should I use to just get the gaze position? I think the “Interaction Library” ( https://developer.tobii.com/consumer-eye-trackers-interaction-library-getting-started/ ) is what I need? Or is it better to use something else? I’m not a “good” programmer, just developing stuff for fun and for the game I love, that’s why I might have some difficulties getting it to work. But once I can get the gaze position, it should be easy to continue with what I need 🙂

DrMonaLisa
    Participant

Hello again!
    The Interaction Library worked perfectly fine.

Thank you for the information that I can include the Tobii DLL files in my project.

I’ve worked hard for the past days to integrate the on borders/corners scrolling, and effects are amazing!

You can read about it at EE2.eu BLOG: https://www.ee2.eu/blog/018-tobii-eye-tracker-in-empire-earth-2.php

Is there any chance, that Empire Earth 2 and Empire Earth 2: The Art of Supremacy with Unofficial Patch 1.5 would now be added to Tobii Game Hub library / list of supported games?

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @drmonalisa, yes exactly the Interaction Library should be what you are looking for to capture gaze data easily. We have other SDK available but the Interaction Library is designed to make the process of gaze interaction as simple as possible.

Please do try out the sample programs provided and let us know how you get on !

DrMonaLisa
    Participant

Thank you @Grant [Tobii]
    As I mentioned in my other post:

Using the Tobii Eye Tracker 4C in an old RTS game?

I got it working fine, and the update was already released to users: https://www.ee2.eu/blog/018-tobii-eye-tracker-in-empire-earth-2.php

Do you think it would be possible to list Empire Earth 2 and Empire Earth 2: The Art of Supremacy with Unofficial Patch 1.5 on a list of supported games, on Tobii website / Game Hub library?

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @drmonalisa, awesome work.. well done! I have sent you a PM with instructions on who to speak to next about getting your efforts officially recognised by Tobii. Thanks a lot 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.