Home Forums Eye Tracking Devices nVidia Surround = FAIL

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    b0n3z
    Participant

Please make Tobii EyeX work with nVidia Surround. I’m currently using (3) PG279Q monitors for 7680×1440 resolution. Triple monitor setups are more common now with ATI Eyefinity also.

I would be willing to beta test as I have done for many hardware & software companies in my past 20+ years of IT.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @b0n3z,

Could you please specify what is not working or what functionality is missing?

I assume you want to use Tobii EyeX to work with multiple eye trackers on multiple screens? Or for one eye tracker to work over that very wide angle?

Or is the problem that EyeX actually does not work on the monitor it is attached to when you have all three running using nVidia Surround?

Thanks for the details.

b0n3z
    Participant

Hello Grant,

I would like to use Tobii EyeX to work across the entire resolution of 7680×1440. NVidia surround allows all three monitors to work as one. So windows sees them as one monitor with the above resolution.

So yes to your 2nd question (“Or for one eye tracker to work over that very wide angle?”)

I can sometimes configure Tobii EyeX before I configure NVidia Surround, but then it only tracks my eye movement just slightly farther than the center monitor. All three of these monitors are 27″ and in landscape.

Thank you,

-Ken

b0n3z
    Participant

Here is an example of similar hardware I have. My Tobii EyeX is mounted to the center monitor (over the ASUS logo). I’m currently running (2) nVidia GTX 1080 Founders Edition in SLi.

NVIDIA G-Sync Surround Impressions: Using 3 ASUS ROG Swift Displays

I would even be happy if I could just manually set Tobii EyeX to work with a resolution I set and with a top and left position to center 2560×1440 with a top of 0 left position of 2560.

-Ken

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi Ken, okay thanks for the explanation.

I am afraid that the eye tracker will still only operate over one monitor with a maximum size of 27″ inches so the left and right monitors on either side of the “centre” screen would still not be usable with the eye tracker.

Multiple monitors therefore (even with the Nvidia surround feature) are therefore not supported by the EyeX Tracker.

Anda
    Participant

Are there plans to support Surround in the near future (3-6 months) ?.

I was planning to buy it in the next week or so but as it doesnt support Surround i will hold for now, and stick with my TrackIR which does support surround.

b0n3z
    Participant

Even if we could give dimensions so it would align on the center monitor only that would be perfect. The side monitors are used for peripheral anyways.

For example, it would work the same as using a single monitor for tracking and you looked beyond the monitor to the right. The tracking would move your viewpoint to the right even though your beyond the monitor’s edge (tracking area).

-Ken

Tischi
    Participant

Hi,

today I received my tobii. Installed it in my middle monitor and started the calibration.
    🙁 “no eyes found”. After I disabled the NVIDIA Sourround – it works.

pleeeease, fix this. In my mind its only a software problem. I don’t know if nvidia has an API to ask the driver, if there are nvidia sourrund enable. So you can simple calculate the number of monitor / resolution.

Tischi
    Participant

Its works now!??!? 😀

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @tischi, we are aware of this problem and we hope to have a fix for the NVidia surround issue in a forthcoming Software released. Please check back regularly at the Tobii developer zone and sign up for the newsletter to be sure of getting this update when it’s released.

Tomas
    Participant

My experience is that you “had” it working, and then you broke it again…

I run nvidia surround with 3 screens, 7680×1440 resolution. And now it is IMPOSSIBLE to calibrate, as I always get the, “cannot detect eyes”… well the lastest version says somehting else.

If I break the surround setup, and run the 3 independant screens, it calibrates very fast on the center screen. when I then re-enable the surround it works most of the time until I reboot the computer…

I do not understand why it should be so hard have the tracking work on defined area of the screen. Which to me would be sort of expected behavior. Just like when you do your setup, and adjust the marking on the screen to the markings on the sensor, why not have a test to see how much movement you can track, up/down, left/right, and add the possibility to adjust these, this way you should be able to confine the tracking to a single screen, and the the extra screenarea in a double/tripple screen setup would be “untracked”, and then the same would go for those superwide screens. It is not perfect, but it would be ALOT better than what we have today.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.