Home Forums Eye Tracking Devices Tobii 4C + 24" 16:10 Aspect Ratio?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Pat
    Participant

I ordered a Tobi 4C yesterday but only noticed now that it only ‘officially supports’ 16:9 and 21:9 Aspect Ratios. (my fault for not checking)

My monitor is a 24 inch 1920×1200 16:10 Aspect Ratio screen. Am I going to run into any calibration issues because of this?

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @patto, I am afraid that a non supported aspect ratio will almost certainly cause you calibration issues however that being said a number of other users on Discord have reported that 16:10 aspect ratio works well.

I would recommend you do some testing and please let us know how you get on.

Pat
    Participant

I will update once I receive my Tobii. Thanks.

Pat
    Participant

Finally received my Tobii yesterday and can confirm the 4C works with 16:10

However, I am running into the same issue thats been reported of the detection being above where I’m looking by about 2cm.

The odd thing is that in the 9 dot post calibration test screen I’m close to the centre of all the circles but not at the desktop and in games.

‘Look AT gaze’ and ‘aim AT gaze’ are technically more ‘Look NEAR gaze’ and ‘aim NEAR gaze’ – not quite what I was expecting from the 4C.

I also tried setting my screen to 1920×1080 1:1 16:9 and it made no difference.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @patto, sorry to hear about your accuracy issues. As you are aware, I am afraid that we do not support monitors that do not have native 16:9 Aspect ratio and have neither tested on this hardware, including forcing the monitor into a non-native 16:9 format. Did you try running the ‘gaze trace’ function from the system tray? How does the accuracy seem across the screens? There will always be some inherent deviation but a value of around 10 pixels should be an acceptable margin. Unfortunately there is not so much advice we can provide in this setup beyond ensuring the local environment where you are based is not subject to strong sources of infrared radiation such as open windows or strong spotlights.

Pat
    Participant

Hi Grant, after continued testing I believe the device is working as intended. I’ve run the gaze trace at desktop and in game and the deviation is indeed around 10 pixels and general across screen accuracy is typically good, albeit with more deviations in some sessions than others. My environment is also low on IR interference. I don’t believe that ratio or environment is an issue here – 24″ 16:10 does indeed work well.

As you know from a few other threads, others have had similar issues so it’s simply a mix of varying levels of software implementation, adaptation and expectations.

Schaefer
    Participant

Hi Pat,

We also had some problems with the aspect ratio in the past. Turning the screen from landscape to portrait made the eye tracker unusable. We solved the problem in the file “trackingSpaces.txt” and “settings.txt” under “C: \ProgramData\Tobii\Tobii Interaction”. A wrong “PhysicalMonitorSizeMm” was entered there.

Pat
    Participant

It looks like the PhysicalMonitorSizeMm is already spot on since it’s taken from the monitors device info path in the monitor driver.

Worth checking out though. Thanks for the tip.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Great, glad to hear things are operating as intended.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.