Home Forums Eye Tracking Devices Can dev be done on the sentry?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bob
    Participant

Hi everyone!

I don’t live in an area where the Tobii stuff can be delivered to me, but I will be visiting the Netherlands soon, and since I am going to be getting into eyetracking, I figured it’d be a good chance to buy a device.

Now excuse me if I make a mistake in my understanding, I am absolutely new to this. What I essentially wanted to know was whether the Steelseries Sentry would allow for the same level of development freedom as the Tobii EyeX would. It is my understanding that the Tobii EyeX specifically has developers in mind as well, while the sentry is for gamers.

I tried searching for the differences between the two devices, and all I got was this rather confusing discussion:
    http://developer.tobii.com/community/forums/topic/sentry-versus-the-eyex/

Another reason I’m considering the rather more expensive sentry is that it promises a delivery of 3-5 days, while the EyeX says it could take 2-4 weeks. I may be in the Netherlands for 2 weeks, but I definitely wouldn’t be there for 4, so any small hiccup would be a huge hassle for me.

Jenny [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi Bob,

I updated the topic you linked to. Here is what I added:

The sampling rate, the hardware platform and the firmware is the same for the EyeX Controller and the Steelseries Sentry eye trackers. With the latest firmware I believe it averages around 60 Hz when the tracking is good (few lost data points).

You can use the Steelseries Sentry just as well as the EyeX Controller for developing with the EyeX SDK, there is no difference from the EyeX Engine’s perspective.

The difference between the two is that the Steelseries Sentry is branded and comes with a software for gaze-overlay in streaming and an analyzer tool to help players enhance their gameplay.

Bob
    Participant

Hey Jenny,

Thanks for the update! Since it is exactly the same hardware, I’m kinda glad now I went with the Tobii EyeX, AND I got a notification last week that I’ll be getting it delivered some time this week.
    Everything worked out in the end :D.

Jenny [Tobii]
    Participant

Nice 🙂 I’m looking forward to hear what cool stuff you will create with it!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.