Home Forums Eye Tracking Devices Controlling mouse with x1-light?

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Hampus
    Participant

We have a x1-light eyetracker (used mainly for analysis). Is there a way to use this device to control the mousepointer?

We would like to demonstrate to our customers how some people with disabilities can use an eyetracker to control the computer.

Robert [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi Hampus,

Yes, you can use your Tobii X1 Light Eye Tracker either with the Tobii Gaze SDK or Tobii Analytics SDK to extract the gaze coordinates from the eye tracker, convert it to screen coordinates and move the mouse pointer e.g. with the Win32 function SetCursorPos. It is a good way to demo and verify that the tracker is working.

However, to use this information for computer control requires careful filtering and extra features to avoid so-called “midas touch” and “mouse chase” effects. Tobii has done a lot of R&D on the assistive technology side and are starting to move away from the “move the mouse all the time” idea. Most of the time the eyes are in reading or searching mode, then you do not want any mouse cursor distracting you.

Here is an example of a software we have developed for this purpose:

Hampus
    Participant

Thank you for your answer, the software looks just like what we need. Where can I download it? Is it PCEye software that is intended for the PCEye Go eyetracker at this link: http://www.tobii.com/en/assistive-technology/global/products/hardware/pceye/support-downloads/

Robert [Tobii]
    Participant

The link is correct, but the software is called “Tobii Gaze Interaction Software” I am not sure that that you can use it with the X1 Light eye tracker, but you can give it a try.

Hampus
    Participant

It worked well! First I had to uninstall a program (tobii control suite i think it was). Then i could install tobii gaze interaction software and after a restart everything works. Thanks for the help!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.