Home Forums Software Development Developing Freeware – Do i need a certain license

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tobias Kozlowski
    Participant

Hello, i wonder if i need a certain license if i want to develop free software. Because i wrote a program that can help people with a diability to use the PC. I wrote it for myself but i would like to give it to other people in the same situation. Can i do this with the getting started license? Best regards. Tobias

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @eyetrackjack, thanks for reaching out. The licence required will depend on the program intentions. We outline this in more detail @ https://developer.tobii.com/license-agreement/

Where we state with regards to the getting started licence:

You have no rights to develop software for medical solutions or medical equipment. For this purpose, you need a Research or Commercial license.

Accordingly, as your application is tailored toward disabled users, this most likely comes under the category of a medical application.

So for distribution, we would recommend you reach out to the licencing team @ https://developer.tobii.com/license-agreement/contact/
    about a quote or if they can offer any flexibility in this matter. Best Wishes.

Tobias Kozlowski
    Participant

Thank you for your reply. I will wirite to the licensing team. However, it is strange to me to consider the program as a medical solution. Don’t know how to explain it. Why is it a medical thing just because i am a person with a diablity? My program shows interactors on the screen that can be used for keyboard and mouse actions. It helps me very much but at the same time everyone could use it. Best regards.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi Tobias, yes I agree it’s a bit of a legal grey area, so I would refer you to the licencing team in this instance for a final decision, thanks for your understanding.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.