Home Forums Feature Requests Improve calibration manually ? Tobii eye tracker 5

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    alex
    Participant

Hi, the calibration tool proposed by gaze point is not accurate enough to click on small icons like bookmarks in google chrome.

Is there a way to manually set each pixel of the grid to an eye position ?
    Saying to the software : corresponding to this point on the screen, here is my eyes position.

I have a 24′ flat asus monitor.

Usually in the center of the screen, it’s quite precise, I can click on small icon with decent accuracy and precision.

However, as soon as it goes off center, there is always a consistent margin of error, showing my cursor closer to the middle than it really is. This effect is most apparent when I reach the edges of the screen. Accuracy stays good, precision becomes bad.

In order to close a window on the top right, I have to look outside the right corner of my monitor (not even the screen, the monitor).

I anticipate that some of you guys will recommend to check the calibration with the blue circle etc…eye tracking being flawed because the eye movements are too small to be detected, because the eyes move by themselves, jitter, when looking in stationary mode.

I know that, however it seems like the accuracy is good, but the precision is bad, which seems very fixable to me with settings.

It seems like it would just require a tool that would correct the calibration or manually set one.

Is that possible to develop/implement ?

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @cawa, thanks for getting in touch. You are quite right that indeed the area of which the gaze data can be accurately represented is in fact a biological limitation.

For example a 1-2 cm difference in the screen may actually correspond to no physical movement in the eye and coupled with the inherent jitteryness of the eye, makes small areas essential impossible to pinpoint precisely.

As you pointed out, the best solution is some kind of intelligent software that can ‘guess’ what you are clicking at based on the screen content and context of the application. Unfortutunately, for right now this is not something Tobii have available.

My immediate thoughts as the quickest workaround is to increase the size of the icons. With Chrome this is tricky as their extension architecture prevents much modification of the basic user interface. You might have better luck with IE or Firefox in this regard. You could also try increasing the font size system wide on the Windows Control panel, but that might no be preferable for all applications.

Indeed, this is why we developed the Mouse Warp functionality so a user can use eye tracking for the coarse direction and the mouse for fine tuning the location. It seemed to be the best solution.

In terms of improving calibration, within the Tobii System Tray Icon, click on the User, then ‘improve user calibration’ which may help slightly on those parts of the screen that are less accurate.

Sorry we cannot offer you a tool today that would solve this issue, but I agree that with some intelligent AI implementation, this limitation of eye tracking could be used overcome.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.