Home Forums Software Development Is possible use the EyeX Framework on a windows app?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Gianni Bozzi
    Participant

Hi everyone, I’m new in EyeX and I need to discover if is possible use this framework to interact with a simple app that I’m trying to develop for learning purpose.

For example I create a simple windows form with 5 button that change colors looking at them thanks to EyeX Framework.

So I would create the same behaviour like an app.

It’s possible? I tried to follow the same instructions using to create the windows form but I received a generic error when I tried to add reference to the EyeX.

Thanks

Patrik [Tobii]
    Participant

Hello Gianni,

When you say “App” are you referring to a Windows Phone application or a Windows RT application?

Best regards
    Patrik Svensson

Gianni Bozzi
    Participant

Hi Patrik, I’m referring to a Windows RT application that I would test on my Surface.

Regards

Gianni Bozzi
    Participant

I see that my Surface has installed Windows 8.1, so I would create a Windows App for Windows 8.1.

Thanks

Patrik [Tobii]
    Participant

Hello Gianni,

I’m sorry to say it is not possible to access the EyeX Engine from a Windows Store app. Microsoft has done their best to ensure that the Windows Store environment is isolated from the underlying OS, and they have done a thorough job — not even the Kinect can get through.

If you own a Microsoft Surface Pro with a USB 3 port, you should be able to build regular desktop applications, but no Windows Store applications.

Best regards
    Patrik

Gianni Bozzi
    Participant

OK, thank you.

Regards

Gianni Bozzi
    Participant

Another question: if I create a regular desktop application and I push it in background on my Surface, the EyeX is able to discover my gaze even if the application isn’t the foreground one or it has to be the foreground to be recognized?

Jenny [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi Gianni,

Your application will be able to receive eye-gaze data from one of the data streams although your application is not in the foreground. If you use one of the region-bound EyeX behaviors for direct click or scrolling the thing the user wants to interact with has to be visible on the screen, but not in the foreground.

Gianni Bozzi
    Participant

Sorry I’m not sure to understand well what are you saying. For example if I create a fullscreen desktop application with 4 big rectangular button (I think they should be my region-bounds or I have to define them?) at the corners of my screen even if this application is not foreground it catches the user’s gaze?

Thanks

Gianni Bozzi
    Participant

Sorry, could someone tell me if I understand exactly what I can do using your SDK. I need to create an interaction between my Windows App for Windows 8.1 and Tobii EyeX so I’m thinking to create a standard windows application that runs in background and it’s able to communicate data to my app using a private socket. Do you think it’s possible? At the moment I created my Windows form with 4 button on the corner and I write on a log file if there is a gaze on one of this button. I see that it works only in foreground, but probably I didn’t understand all the capabilities of EyeX.
    Could you help me?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.