Home Forums Software Development Moving mouse to gaze area

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Patrick
    Participant

Hi,

I am trying to move the user’s mouse to the area that they are looking at, every 500ms.
    To do this I was just using a simple loop that used a library to send the key combination set in Tobii > Mouse > Warp on Key

This does not work, even when using admin permissions. Has anyone had any experience with this before?

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @patrick2020 and thanks for your query. Unfortunately the Tobii software does not currently support emulated key inputs and will only work with physically pressed keyboard strokes.

One possible workaround is that you can have the mouse cursor move by a specific amount (larger than the buffer specified in the Tobii settings) every 500ms and see if that works?

You can set the cursor position in .NET as explained @
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.windows.forms.cursor.position?redirectedfrom=MSDN&view=net-5.0#System_Windows_Forms_Cursor_Position

Please try it out and let us know how you get on. Best Wishes.

Patrick
    Participant

Thanks for this. I will give it ago, just need to get the SDK working…

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Great! Let us know how you get on 🙂

Joseph
    Participant

I find this part of your answer interesting. Perhaps you can flesh this out for me. I’m disabled and using Nuance DPI 15.3 NaturallySpeaking. Are you saying that the Tobii executable is not trackable for a program like Naturally DPI 15.3? I need to be able to do keypresses by voice. In other words, none of the Tobii Gaming 4 software commands will be available in the memory buffer? Because sometimes I think NaturallySpeaking does not see the Tobii keyboard commands in the scripts I’ve made even though I’m using advanced scripting. what is the Tobii Gaming executable? Or is it a DLL?

“Hi @patrick2020 and thanks for your query. Unfortunately the Tobii software does not currently support emulated key inputs and will only work with physically pressed keyboard strokes. One possible workaround is that you can have the mouse cursor move by a specific amount (larger than the buffer specified in the Tobii settings) every 500ms and see if that works?”

Thank you, JZ

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @f3head, I am afraid that for the time being, the Tobii Core App does not support receiving virtual key pressed.

Googling around, I came across this page on stack overflow @ https://stackoverflow.com/questions/39809095/why-do-some-applications-not-accept-some-sendkeys-at-some-times

Perhaps you could try this approach of using a Hardware Scan Code with your software? Try it out and let us know how you get on. Best Wishes.

Joseph
    Participant

Well thank you for the reply. I was afraid of that! NaturallySpeaking will accept hex ASCII code etc. as scripting commands. I’ll definitely give it a try.
    I assume this is the same issue for the new Tobii Gaming 5 and its software? How about the built-in Windows 10 eye tracking in regards to supporting emulated key inputs?

One last question if I may? What is the executable or DLL for the Tobii Gaming eye tracking application? The reason why I’m asking is when I create scripts in NaturallySpeaking it looks for the executable to attach the script to. I looked for it while creating my scripts and NaturallySpeaking didn’t seem to “see” the executable. But perhaps it is me who is not seeing or using the correct executable or DLL. Please advise…

Thank you Grant for the help. So many possibilities with Tobii Gaming!

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Great! Please do let us know how you get on. Best Wishes.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.