Home Forums Eye Tracking Devices Poor tracking looking up

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Paul Matthews
    Participant

Hi

I bought the 4C and its is fantastic for a game like Elite Dangerous. One thing I have noticed is that the side to side and tracking when I look down is fantastic, but when I look up it only registers a small amount and will then lose tracking and snap back to the centre (or get stuck).

I have an 34″ ultrawide, which I know isnt supported, is this the reason looking up doesnt work for this specific issue? I assumed it would be the general tracking that would be an issue, but everywhere else seems to be amazing. As you can imagine I cant use the provided mounting bracket, so i have used velcro to attach it which seems to work fine except for the upwards movement.

Any help with this would be really appreciated.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @stumblingdrunk, thanks for your query and sorry to hear about your issues. Certainly, if you are not using the mounting bracket as supplied with your Tobii 4C eye tracker then unfortunately some degree of inaccuracy is to be expected and officially we cannot support any other mounting systems.

However, what might be of use to you is to check out this other forum thread @ https://developer.tobii.com/community/forums/topic/ultrawide-monitors/ wherein a number of users with ultrawide monitors have posted their solutions that seem to work well, so hopefully you should be able to reproduce their setup.

It may also be helpful to improve calibration accuracy by navigating to the Tobii Eye Tracking icon in the system tray, select your name then select the “test and improve calibration” option which may reduce issues along the top of your screen.

Accordingly, please go through the steps I have outlined and kindly let us know how you get on.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @stumblingdrunk, could you kindly provide us an update on your recent progress? Did you manage to resolve your accuracy issues along the top of the screen by following the advice in the other thread? Thanks for your feedback.

Paul Matthews
    Participant

Hi Grant, apologies I actually meant to respond earlier but forgot!

The issue wasnt the ultrawide, it was actually me having really poor settings set up in your launcher and after some revised numbers it now seems to be working really well on my Alienware 34″. I think the setting really are quite specific to the user, but if anyone else wants to try them I use the below:

Gaze
    Responsiveness – 10%
    Sensitivity
    Speed – 0.72
    Exponent – 2.54
    Inflection Point – 0.80
    Start Point – 0.00
    End Point – 1.00

Headtracking (use Direct, as Dynamic doesnt seem to like my setup)
    Responsiveness – 70%
    Sensitivity
    Speed – 8.00
    Exponent – 1.20
    Inflection Point – 0.11
    Start Point – 0.00
    End Point – 1.00

I hope this helps someone as it really is the closest you can get to VR for immersion, but also keep the great graphical fidelity 🙂

Also Grant is there any word on X4 Foundations getting tobii eye support? It sounds like it has Track IR support so it sounds like a good candidate

Regards

Paul

Alex [Tobii]
    Participant

I would guess the problem is related to poor HEAD tracking when looking up, not eye tracking. We are aware of the issue. As a temporary solution I would suggest to increase eye tracking contribution to extended view (max angle and responsiveness).

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @stumblingdrunk, great news! Glad to hear you got it all sorted in the end and thanks for posting your results. Whilst we are constantly in talks with other games developers, there is no news right now for X4, but I would strongly recommend you get in touch with their on their own forums and support channels to champion the addition of eye tracking support in their game titles!

Louie Dobson
    Participant

I am enjoying 4C.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @louiedobson, great! Glad to hear of another happy customer enjoying our products 🙂

Any questions or issues, please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.