Home Forums Game Integration Some feedback Elite Dangerous Horizons

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    JestersInk
    Participant

Thanks for the heads up iiBot and thanks for what is starting to look like a great product.

It worked right out of the box for me, but after I started the game for a second time I got the “game not found” error.
    Strange that it still works in game though.

A couple of little les though, I can use it switched on in game all of the time, but the in game menus are tricky to control.
    The alternative is to use the middle mouse button to temporarily disable it whilst docked.
    When I re-enable the tracker, it isn’t centred. Is there a way of setting this up so when it is reactivated, it is centred?
    On my first calibration, there was an option to do a fine tune, I cant seem to do it a second time, there is no option.

I think it would be handy if you made a couple of suggested profiles too:-

I am using Speed 3.00
    Gradient 3.00
    Dead zone 0.10

After all that, I have to say, it suits me better than a head tracker.
    For those like me who cant sit with their heads in the same position for any length of time, this is a really good alternative.
    The fluidity in which it tracks objects of interest is quite amazing. I’m very pleased with it.

Also posted here—->
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=220228&page=14&p=3533855&posted=1#post3533855

Thank you for your feedback. Great to hear that you like our product :).

It worked right out of the box for me, but after I started the game for a second time I got the “game not found” error. Strange that it still works in game though.

Just to clarify: Do you get the “Cannot find the game…” block screen with the “Browse”-button or do you actually get an error message pop up? Do you get it when starting the game or when starting ISE?

A couple of little les though, I can use it switched on in game all of the time, but the in game menus are tricky to control. The alternative is to use the middle mouse button to temporarily disable it whilst docked. When I re-enable the tracker, it isn’t centred. Is there a way of setting this up so when it is reactivated, it is centred?

The best thing you could do right now is to bind the center view and enable/disable hotkey to the same button. We will probably add a “Center view on disable”-option in a future update.

I think it would be handy if you made a couple of suggested profiles too:-
    I am using Speed 3.00
    Gradient 3.00
    Dead zone 0.10

Woah! That’s some interesting settings!. We actually even considered having 0.5 as the lower limit for “Dead zone” :)… don’t you find the camera movements erratic and/or unstable?

We hope to be able to offer some kind of preset sensitivity profiles once we’ve been able to gather enough data to find the most popular (if any) combinations of settings.

For me I use.
    Speed: 4.00
    Gradient: 1.75
    Dead Zone: 0.01

JestersInk
    Participant

Hi Henrik,

The error pops up when I start the PC and I get another error when I’m starting the game.
    I think this is due to me running 2 screens in duplicated format. I have to set them to extended when I want to use the tracker.

I have tested you idea on using the same button for both disable and centre and it works fine as a mouse button or a keyboard key, but doesn’t work on my joystick. I can live with that, but it would be handy to have it mapped to the stick.

I’m still playing with the settings, but yes I’m very happy with those I posted.
    I would love to have the centre on enable and disable tracker if possible, this would perfect it for me if it did.

Does the error show in an actual popup-window? What is the exact error message?

We’re looking at issues relating to binding hotkeys to different types of joysticks. Which brand do you have? Can you normally bind hotkeys to your joystick?

Working on the “Center view on enable/disable”-option. 🙂

JestersInk
    Participant

The stick is a T Flight stick X, it binds to the button fine, but when I press the button it does not activate, I have to hold the button to get the tracker to work. In tracker SW options it is set to toggle.

I can’t replicate the other error at the moment, which I think is caused by me running 2 monitors in duplicate mode, but this is what I get when I start Horizons. (Like I said though, it still works in game, so I have no idea why it pops up).—>

screenshot

JestersInk
    Participant

Thinking on this, is it due to there being multiple versions of Elite installed?
    i.e.
    Elite 32bit
    Elite 64bit
    Elite Horizons

JestersInk
    Participant

Thinking out loud, on the centre on enable and disable, is it possible for you to add a “mark/set as centre” option so we can set where we want the centre to be? Its not a big deal, but whilst you guys are heading for perfection 😀

I can’t replicate the other error at the moment, which I think is caused by me running 2 monitors in duplicate mode, but this is what I get when I start Horizons. (Like I said though, it still works in game, so I have no idea why it pops up)

The error message “Elite: Dangerous configuration file not found” means that some of the configuration files that ISE attempts to modify when it detects an ED/EDH launch cannot be found. I dare say that is has nothing to do with your monitor setup.

What is the content (open in Notepad) of “%LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings\StartPreset.start”?

Thinking on this, is it due to there being multiple versions of Elite installed?
    i.e.
    Elite 32bit
    Elite 64bit
    Elite Horizons

Shouldn’t be an issue, they all save their bindings to the same location.

Thinking out loud, on the centre on enable and disable, is it possible for you to add a “mark/set as centre” option so we can set where we want the centre to be? Its not a big deal, but whilst you guys are heading for perfection ?

Do you mean like a hotkey for marking (in game) a view rotation as “center”?

Magic Man
    Participant

Does the ISE attempt to write its own bindings for the head look then? I had to manually bind the axis.

Does the ISE do anything different per game config than attempt to match the vjoy axis to in-game axis? If so, wouldn’t it be better to simply present a universal x/y output which could be mapped to any game rather than just those that the ISE knows about in terms of being able to edit the input binds automatically.

JestersInk
    Participant

What is the content (open in Notepad) of “%LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings\StartPreset.start”?

It has the word “custom”, that’s all.

Do you mean like a hotkey for marking (in game) a view rotation as “center”?
    Like set the centre to a given point, so instead of it being default centre, set it slightly higher or even left or right of default in game centre.

Gerhard Farr
    Participant

hi, i got my eyex yesterday and after 2h of fiddeling around with the installation process (vjoy installation stuck) i got that one working, but it didnt work in ED:H out of the box.
    i tried binding the vjoy axis to headlook (up down left right) which worked kinda with the default settings (Speed: 6.00, Gradient: 2.5, Dead Zone: 0.8), but some how not as but not as fluently as i expected it from ObAnts youtube video.

now i got a silly question since i’ve rebound main and alternative headlook (u-d-l-r) in my keybindings to the coolie hat of my x52 and to the right thumbstick of my joypad. Do i have to bind the vjoy aixs to these Headlook key or does the Infinity Screen Software overwrite these?

Does the ISE attempt to write its own bindings for the head look then? I had to manually bind the axis.

Yes it does. A big part of ISE is that user should not have to manually bind the head look in game. Are you using the Steam version? Where is your installation folder located? Could you try unbinding the head look and try if if ISE will autoconfigure it? (We suspect there might be some issues with the ISE instance that is launched directly from the installer).

Does the ISE do anything different per game config than attempt to match the vjoy axis to in-game axis? If so, wouldn’t it be better to simply present a universal x/y output which could be mapped to any game rather than just those that the ISE knows about in terms of being able to edit the input binds automatically.

It sets the axis bindings and depending on the game it also makes sure to set the appropriate axis behaviors (headlook on/off, dead zone values, axis smoothing etc). Leaving these settings to the user would not allow us to control the user experience to the degree that we deemed was necessary for the initial launch of this application.

A generic “Gaze to VJoy/FreeTrack” would also require a much more complex UI (we need to expose a lot more settings to the user) and since eye tracking is not something that most users are familiar with we opted to not go in this direction initially. We are however looking at how we could make this possible now that we’ve seen how much interest there actually is in “Infinite Screen” since it would open up for so many other games and also allow users to experiment with controller merging tools (e.g. xbox360 ce).

now i got a silly question since i’ve rebound main and alternative headlook (u-d-l-r) in my keybindings to the coolie hat of my x52 and to the right thumbstick of my joypad. Do i have to bind the vjoy aixs to these Headlook key or does the Infinity Screen Software overwrite these?

Yes, VJoy needs to be bound to the head look axis. If ISE is enabled for a game then these settings should be written to the config file on game startup.

It has the word “custom”, that’s all.

Great.

hi, i got my eyex yesterday and after 2h of fiddeling around with the installation process (vjoy installation stuck)

Sorry to hear that you got stuck on the VJoy-installation. We’re getting more and more reports on this but we can’t replicate the problem ourselves which makes troubleshooting extremely difficult. Do you know what you did to get it working?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.