Home Forums Eye Tracking Devices Specification of the Tobii EyeX Controller

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Tobii Developer
    Participant

What is the technical specification of the Tobii EyeX Controller?

Robert [Tobii]
    Participant

The Tobii EyeX Controller is an eye tracking peripheral based on Tobii’s latest hardware, targeted for consumer applications. It connects to the computer via a USB 3.0 cable. It is mounted with a slim size magnetic mount on both desktop and laptop setups.

The Tobii EyeX Controller together with well-developed applications for eye gaze interaction allows for a completely natural user experience where the user can sit, stand and move around freely.
    The system provides consistent accuracy and precision for almost all users, independent of head movements, and changing light conditions over time. It has no need for regular re-calibrations and allows for a great variety of physiological factors such as eye color, ethnicity, sight correction and age.

Raphael Menges
    Participant

Could you tell me how big the track box of the EyeX is? I only found a complete specification of the Tobii REX. Thanks!

Robert [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi,

Sorry for late answer, the complete specification is not ready yet but we got some initial figures for the track box (or actually, it’s a frustum)

The working distance of the EyeX is 45-80 cm (18-32 in)
    At 70 cm (28 in) distance, the head movement “plane” is 48×39 cm (19×15 in)

The numbers are specified parallel/orthogonal to screen surface, assuming eye tracker is at 20 degree angle to screen.

Hoang-Phong Nguyen
    Participant

Hi, could you tell me what the sampling rate of EyeX is?
    Because I am working on auto-stereoscopic display, absolute 3D pupil position in millimeters is more preferred.
    So is there any report on the EyeX’s accuracy of pupil position? What is the velocity limit of head movement?
    Thank you!

Pete
    Participant

I too would like to know what the ‘official’ sampling rate of the EyeX is(?)

I note that the SteelSeries Sentry model is claiming a ‘minimum refresh rate’ of 50 Hz. Is this also the case in the vanilla Tobii EyeX? (I assume so, since I assume that they share the same fundamental hardware)

ritikajain
    Participant

Hi,
    What all parameters,other than accuracy and precision, can be measured from the gaze data,fixation data and eye position data of user,using Tobii X eye tracker?
    Can pupil diameter information also be obtained ?
    Thanks a lot!
    Ritika

Jorge Sanchez
    Participant

I would like specifically:
    1 – Accuracy and Spatial Resolution.
    2 – Using 2 Tobii devices simultaneously (Is it Possible?): Could I improve on these metrics?
    Thanks
    J.S.

Jenny [Tobii]
    Participant

Regarding EyeX metrics, see this reply:
    http://developer.tobii.com/community/forums/topic/eyex-controller-accurary-and-precision-test-report/#post-3075

@ritikajain
    : Pupil diameter information is not available in EyeX

@Jorge
    : Using two Tobii devices simultaneously is something we want to support in the future, but not for improving metrics: we want it to be possible to use EyeX on multiple screens simultaneously, having one eye tracker per screen.

Alexandre
    Participant

Hello, Robert! Regarding your answer #1156. I know that it was 1 year ago. But today I want to use Tobii EyeX with Third Party software for accessibility (ALS). We are choosing a notebook or tablet to buy and we would want to determine the optimal screen size into cost benefit.

Will be very important enjoy the EyeX at its maximum accuracy.

You: “At 70 cm (28 in) distance, the head movement ‘plane’ is 48×39 cm (19×15 in)”

Does it mean that a medium distance (~70 cm) will be ideal in teory with screens of 17″?

Alexandre
    Participant

Asking in another way:

In 10-inch screens, what is the range of optimal distances?
    In 13-inch screens?
    In 15-inch screens?
    In 17-inch?
    In 19-inch?
    In 21-inch?
    In 23-inch, what is the range of optimal distances?
    And in 27-inch?

That is, how is the function relating screen size and distance?

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @alexandre, you can be assured that as long as the screen size does not exceed 27 inches, the accuracy will be the same at any smaller size, so feel free to get the largest screen you can as this will help in have large buttons and thus fewer issue with interaction.

Alexandre
    Participant

Are larger screens easier to be calibrated? On the other hand, I have the impression that the calibration done in smaller screen tend to be more accurate. Smaller or bigger screens , what would lose the calibration more easily? It’s hard to believe it’s all the same, and @roberttobii did relation between distance and screen size.

This is a very important subject for who need EyeX as low cost solution for accessibility. ALS is a disease that greatly limits the user. We are confident that EyeX will work, but we want think well our purchases. Our EyeX was purchased and it is on the way! We have laptop to test it but we want buy another device.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @alexandre. For the purposes of accessibility communication, in fact the button sizes on the screen will be a more important factor than any marginal change in eye tracker accuracy relating to screen size when it comes to reducing false positives.

In addition, it is generally true (up to a limit) that a larger screen should be easier to calibrate with.

The EyeX (And Tobii products in general) are designed in such a way that screen size is not a major influence in accuracy, except of course at the extreme scales of dimension.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.