Home Forums Software Development What do i need to distribute my software as open source?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tobias Kozlowski
    Participant

I wrote a program for pressing keys and controlling the mouse using a tobii eyetracker. I have a disability and use it for gaming. I think this software could help many people and i would like to make it open source. How can i do it and what is about the necessary dll files as they are a part of the tobii SDK? Do i add them to the source code archive?

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @eyetrackjack, and thanks for your query and enthusiasm for developing the project!

Please be aware however, that the Tobii SDK (could you kindly clarify exactly which API you are using please?) is proprietary software and as such could not be included explicity in an open source archive. You can of course upload your project to a repository such as github and include the appropriate DLL’s in this manner.

If you have already done so, it would be great if you could share the project URL and we can investigate together to see the best options going forward. Best Wishes.

Tobias Kozlowski
    Participant

Thank you. I will share the url when i upload. I added Tobii.Interaction to my project. What i meant was to upload the dlls on github or even together with the compiled program. Tobias.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @eyetrackjack, yes you can include the binary DLL’s directly in your GitHub project.

As stated in the SDK licence agreement @ http://developer.tobii.com/?wpdmdl=203

“2.1 Subject to Section 2.2 and Section 6, You are hereby granted a limited, nonexclusive, non-transferable, revocable, license:

… ii) to distribute any binary files in the Licensed Software, or the binary form of example source code in the Licensed Software, only as part of Software developed by You, and”

Best Wishes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.