Home Forums Software Development EyeX Chrome Extension

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    John
    Participant

I noticed there’s an EyeX extension for Chrome available in the Chrome Web Store. Are there any examples showing how to access the EyeX from Javascript? A search in the forums didn’t turn up anything.

Robert [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi John,

Well spotted! The Chrome extension obviously accesses the EyeX Engine via JavaScript, but is at the moment using an internal protocol/API on top of EyeX for Windows. We have planned to add official JavaScript support quite soon. Stay tuned to get information about when the first version of the JavaScript API will be available.

BTW: Have you tried the Chrome extension? What did you think of the current functionality (clicking, scrolling, zooming?) Please add your feedback by right-clicking the EyeX icon in the Windows notification area and select “Send Feedback”.

John
    Participant

Robert,

Great news, thanks, I’m really excited to try it. Just received my EyeX last week and have been blown away by your demo showcase. Anxious to start incorporating eye tracking into my own apps and JavaScript is my current language of choice.

Haven’t been able to get the Chrome extension working yet. How is it supposed to work? There isn’t much guidance on the extension page in the Chrome Web Store.

Robert [Tobii]
    Participant

The Chrome extension should be automatically installed when you install EyeX for Windows. Go through the EyeX for Windows tutorial to get a feeling for how it works. Click on the link you look at with the Direct Click key (default: apps/menu key), scroll in pages with the Scroll/Pan key (Default: right Ctrl), zoom in on maps by double-tapping the Direct Click key.

John
    Participant

Ah, I see. You have to hold down the Scroll/Pan key; I assumed pressing and releasing the key put you into scroll/pan mode. Panning works in Google Maps, zooming does, too, but it’s the Direct Click key for me, rather than the Zoom/Pan key. Vertical scrolling doesn’t seem to be working correctly, though. The page scrolls to the end when I hold down the key, but there doesn’t seem to be any relationship to my gaze point. Thanks for the help, though, fantastic device, looking forward to using the JavaScript API!

Robert [Tobii]
    Participant

You are right, it is the Direct Click key that you can double-click to zoom in, I edited my reply above. If you are zoomed in on a map you can also zoom out with Shift+Direct Click.

Regarding scrolling, if you have scrolled down on a page and released the scroll/pan key you can scroll up by looking in the upper part of the page and pressing scroll/pan key again.

JeffKang
    Participant

You have to hold down the Scroll/Pan key; I assumed pressing and releasing the key put you into scroll/pan mode.

I think activating a mode is what should happen. If I need to keep pressing a button, I might as well just press the space button for a page-down.

Freek Kammeijer
    Participant

The extension does what it is supposed to do I guess. But since I installed it, every picture url I load it gives me the “Ah Snap!” message 🙁
    Is there a way to show some kind of error log? Cause I really had to uninstall it because of this.

Jenny [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi Freek,

The EyeX for Windows team have looked into this, and it seems there is a bug in Chrome related to event handling. A bug report has been filed to Chrome, and in the meantime, we are trying to find a work-around.

The developer preview of EyeX for Windows is a pre-beta version of the software to be released later this year, so we appreciate bug reports to help us stabilize the software before the official release.

John
    Participant

Just following up on this. Any further word on when the EyeX JavaScript API will become available?

Anders
    Participant

Hi John,
    all I can say is that it’s in the works.

Chris
    Participant

Hi Anders,

Is there any update on when the JavaScript API might become available? I’d be very keen to use this right now for a project I’m working on.

Thanks.

I get an “network_failed” error whenever I try to install it on my Chrome (win 8.1 64Bit)

Robert [Tobii]
    Participant

Ok, I have notified the developers. It might be related to a firewall, anti-virus program or other Chrome extension blocking communication with the eye tracker.

See this thread for example:
    https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/8yXG736uW9s

John
    Participant

Just a quick note to hopefully keep interest alive on this topic. I see from this post by Jenny that the JavaScript API is “almost finished” but keeps getting pushed down the priority list. C’mon Tobii, you’re understandably focused on the native gaming market at the moment, but you’re missing a huge opportunity by ignoring the Web. If you’re close, why not push it over the top and get it into the hands of us web developers? We could open a huge new market for your hardware.

Calling all JavaScript developers! What do we want? An EyeX API! When do we want it? Real soon now!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.