Home Forums Eye Tracking Devices Installer – "We're sorry: An error occured installing Tobii…"

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Red Rain
    Participant

You can download version 0.8.16.811 from here

Anders
    Participant

Red Rain,
    thanks for stepping forward to help out. But in this case I wouldn’t recommend installing the older version. Version 0.8.17 solves several installation issues and I think it’s better to use the most recent version as the starting point for troubleshooting. All versions up to this point have been alphas.

Anders
    Participant

Hi Hikmet,
    all versions released so far have been alphas, so I’d really recommend using the latest version as the starting point for troubleshooting. Please contact support if you need assistance.

Fezile Mfengwana
    Participant

Dear All,

I had this issue and it is now resolved.

Konstantin from tech support said the installer is not entitled to
    add a key to the registry. I tried to get the solution online, and changed registry privileges to full access but this did not resolve the issue.

Now the solution :), and this took me only about 45 minuets. I re-installed a fresh copy of windows and the issues was resolved. This may not be the best solution but not getting the eye tracker to work is extremely frustrating and now I can not get the smile off my face.

Jenny [Tobii]
    Participant

@Tobias, Luis

Have you tried restoring the Windows Installer registry settings as well?

How to restore the settings on Win 7 is described in the KB article Christopher Gracia referred to above:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2642495.

I also read this KB article about error 1603: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834484

I’m wondering if corrupted registry settings for the Windows Installer could cause permission problems that result in an error 1603?

Maybe it can cause the problem seen by Lander (#1334) as well?

We in the EyeX team at Tobii are of course also looking into things at our side, but since error 1603 is a generic and unspecific error it doesn’t give us any clue where to look for a problem. It doesn’t tell us if it is a problem with our installer or if something in the environments of the specific computers have been corrupted.

In the case of Fezile (#1376), it seems it was caused by something that was corrupted in the environment of the specific computer.

M
    Participant

Hi,

I first got the above error message and now when I uninstalled the software, restarted the computer and try to install it again I get the error message:
    “Tobii EyeX Installer could not be started. Reason: The Tobii EyeX Installer does not support this operation system”

I’m running Windows 7 (64 bit)

Robert [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi M,

That is strange to hear. Most of our users are running Win7 64-bit and I haven’t heard any problem like this before. Can you share more information about your Windows installation (edition, language, service pack etc.) to help us identify the cause?

Roland [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi,
    there is a known problem on some systems that this can happen if the installation file has been renamed. Check so that your browser have not added a “…(1).exe” or similar to the filename. If this is the case, remove the (1) and try again.

Hui-Shyong Yeo
    Participant

I have the same problem with “we’re sorry: an error occured installing tobii”.
    However, when I plug in the tobii, it was actually detected.
    But I cannot access the setting panel.
    So, I download the tobii showcase, and the tobii actually working fine.
    I can see my gaze.

However, I cannot setup my tobii properly because I cannot access the setting panel, where I remember there is some guideline on helping the setup, such as matching the line on the bottom of monitor.

Jenny [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi Hui-Shyong,

Could you please check in Control Panel -> ‘Uninstall a program’ which Tobii EyeX programs you have installed?

For EyeX Engine 0.8.17 it should be:
    Tobii EyeX Controller Service
    Tobii EyeX Controller Driver
    Tobii EyeX

And if you press the Windows key on your keyboard and type in “tobii”, which Tobii EyeX programs are listed?

For EyeX Engine 0.8.17 it should be:
    Tobii EyeX Settings
    Tobii EyeX Engine
    Tobii EyeX for Windows
    Tobii EyeX Tutorials

Hui-Shyong Yeo
    Participant

Hi Jenny[Tobii]
    Yes I can see the 3 things in control panel -> uninstall

However, I cannot see the 4 things when I typed tobii in windows search.
    Because my installation was never completed. It says “sorry, blah blah”

But whenever I connect my eyeX, there is a pop-up at bottom right saying my eyeX is connected.

To be honest, this installation problem is frusfrating.

Robert [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi Hui-Shyong,

Sorry to hear about your installation problems. To understand why the installation fails, please take a look at the InstallationGuide.log from the c:/programdata/Tobii folder. It might also help to unpack the .exe file and install the .msi files manually.

Robert [Tobii]
    Participant

Update: The problem with failing EyeX installation due to registry key permissions is expected to be solved in the next public release of EyeX Engine. The team is currently testing the new release thoroughly and we expect to publish it within a couple of weeks. Some of you who have been in contact with support will get the option to try an unofficial pre-release just to make sure that all installation problems are solved.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.