Home Forums Software Development Setup files for Tobii REX for Developers

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    TW
    Participant

Hello!

I have a Tobii REX for Developers here along with outdated drivers and software packages like “Tobii IS Drivers_1.3.5.msi”, “Tobii USB Service_1.2.0.x86.msi” and “Tobii.EyeX_1.0.0.3943-alpha.exe”.

I couldn’t get these to run on Windows 10, it was stuck at “Right Control is your EyeX button. Press it to continue”. It wouldn’t be recognized.

Therefore I thought I would start with the latest drivers and packages from scratch.

Which one should I download, please?

I’m developing for a standalone desktop app on Windows 10.

Thank you.

TW
    Participant

Also, I’m getting this error when I try to install “Tobii.EyeX_1.0.0.3943-alpha.exe”, and it searches for an update:

error1

And this as well:

error2

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @tw2018, sorry to hear about your troubles. As you are probably aware, the Tobii REX tracker has been discontinued so our latest Tobii Eye Tracking Software is not compatible with the REX device and we, therefore, recommend you not to update to the latest versions.

Therefore please navigate to the link below where we provide downloads for the latest versions of our software that should still work with your device.

https://help.tobii.com/hc/en-us/articles/213546185-Attention-all-REX-users

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

TW
    Participant

@Grant
    Thank you, that worked.

Could you tell me how to go on from here when I want to capture eye data (and access further settings of the Tobii eyetracker) in my application now?

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @tw2018, of course, happy to help 🙂

To get started in developing your own applications, please check out the Tobii Core SDK which you can get via Nuget on Visual Studio by following the introductory documentation @ https://tobii.github.io/CoreSDK/articles/intro.html

Thereafter, please download our sample applications which include a variety of key eye-tracking interaction concepts along with the various data streams available to you @ https://github.com/Tobii/CoreSDK

So kindly go through these links I have sent over and let us know if we can be of any further assistance to you.

TW
    Participant

Thank you, I got the basics to work.

Is there no example on how to detect or to be notified about a blink?
    Also, I did not find any way to show the camera window or a status window.

I thought there was perhaps a function like _Host.ShowCameraWindow(0, 0, 240, 240) or similar.

Am I blind, or are these 2 features not available?

Also, I would like to know if we as developers can edit the eye tracker settings (like switching enabled / disabeling clicks by blinks / dwell) or if we are only “watchers” and can only visualize where the user is looking.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @tw2018, no I am afraid there is no blink detection samples included with the Core SDK. you would need to implement your own algorithm for this purpose.

You may find the following thread @ https://developer.tobii.com/community/forums/topic/blink-detection/ useful to get you started.

Essentially, one needs to have a loop counter that detects a blink based upon duration of gaze lost time which for a blink is approximately 300 ms.
    Check out the info, and let us know if you require further assistance in this respect.

Could you kindly clarify what you mean by camera window? If you mean some graphical heads up display of eye locations then this is not an integrated command I am afraid, but please let me know if this is not what you were looking for.

TW
    Participant

In our application we have integrated several different eye tracker APIs already from different eye tracker producers.

Most of these eye tracker APIs enable us to operate the eye tracker’s internals like “Clicks should be triggered by blinking / staring/ not at all”.
    Along with the notification of a blink, this enables us to trigger clicks ourselves instead of having the eye tracker do that.

Also, they enable us to show a camera window (what the eye tracker sees. In most cases it’s the original infrared camera window, and in some cases it’s a smiley that smiles if the eye tracker can successfully track the eye gaze and which shows a sad face if the eye tracker could not detect the eyes). Using a command like “_Host.ShowCameraWindow(120, 120);” would enable us to show this camera window wherever we like.

Can you please confirm that these 2 features are not available to users of the Core SDK and that there’s no other way to achieve this?

Thank you.

TW
    Participant

Hello Grant,

can you shed some light on this?

Thanks.

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @tw2018, whilst there is no blink detection within the Tobii Core SDK, you can indeed configure that a click should occur when gaze rests on a particular area for a predetermined amount of time. You can include a custom timer to these routinese to catch blinks as desired. The means by which a click is registered through gaze dwelling is demonstrated in the Interaction Samples as included with the Core SDK which you can download @ https://github.com/Tobii/interaction-samples

With regards to syntax, There’s a GazeAwareBehavior that may be attached to an interactor, which has two fields: Mode (GazeAwareMode) & DelayTime (TimeSpan). If Mode is set to GazeAwareMode::Delayed, then HasGaze event can be used to generate a mouse click. You may wish to check out WithActivatable / WhenActivated.

Regarding a ready to launch track status camera window, unfortunately there is no such feature ready launch within the Core SDK Interaction API. Accordingly, it would be necessary to construct a custom application implementing the EyePositionData / EyePositionStream data to graphically show the eyes within a window.

You can read more regarding the idealised locations necessary to calibrate the response @ https://www.tobiipro.com/learn-and-support/learn/steps-in-an-eye-racking-study/run/how-to-position-the-participant-and-the-eye-tracker/. Hopefully we have answered your questions, but please let us know if you require any further information.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.