[Solved] Planed utility application at the possible edge to analytical use

Home Forums Software Development [Solved] Planed utility application at the possible edge to analytical use

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Piekarski
    Participant

Hello,

after reading Analytical Use of Eye Tracking Data I am still in doubt about if I should apply for analytical use license or not.

“In Interaction Use, the eye tracking data can’t be stored or transmitted to a network, nor analyzed or processed for other purposes. […] For any application that store or transfer eye tracking data you must obtain a special Analytical Use license from Tobii.”

But what is about displaying the tracking data?

The application I plan is for development and debugging purpose in future projects. It would be published at GitHub. I’d much appreciate your feedback.

The data will not be stored in any way or processed (except approximation and denormalization for showing absolute screen coordinates).

For a more visual impression what I’m about to develop I attached a screenshot from the UI-Design, the other tabs would look a like showing also average values.

Planed UI

At GitHub I published this idea and made the UI and wrote a few things but I did not started yet. First I wanted to check these questions:

1. Does anybody of you developed or is developing something like this and checked agreements already?
    2. Am I allowed to show these data?
    3. Is this application still within the agreement of only interaction use which it would serve in developing future projects?

Thanks for your time and I am looking forward for your replies and I am hopeful to start developing 🙂
    Thomas

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @tpiekarski, thank you for your query and consideration in requesting approval.

From what I can see of your project, you are essentially reproducing graphically in Qt the ‘streams’ sample application that we include by default @

https://github.com/Tobii/CoreSDK/tree/master/samples

so I don’t find any issue with you continuing with your intended application 🙂

So long as the gaze data is not being stored either to an external file you are within the rules of the Core SDK licence agreement. The only slightly gray area might be your gaze approximation algorithm however as this data is only being displayed and not stored or analysed (please confirm) then I would say you are all good!

Thomas Piekarski
    Participant

Hello @grant-rogers,

I am glad to hear that.
    The data of the mentioned gaze approximation will only be displayed and not stored or analysed in any way.

Thanks for your reply and your time,
    Thomas

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hello, please be aware that Tobii have now replaced the Analytical Use licence with the Tobii Eye Tracking Data Transparency Policy.

You can read more about this change @ https://transparency.tobii.com/

With additional details for developers @ https://developer.tobii.com/license-agreement/

Best Wishes,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.