Home Forums Game Integration Some feedback Elite Dangerous Horizons

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Gerhard Farr
    Participant

We’re getting more and more reports on this but we can’t replicate the problem ourselves which makes troubleshooting extremely difficult. Do you know what you did to get it working?

i went to vJoys website and installed their latest driver, but unchecked all the additional SW. And surprisingly enough it worked that time but since i didn install their control software i couldnt connect ISE. So uninstalled all vjoy and ISE and reinstalled the ISE bundle with all boxes checked and this time it worked. I cant see a pattern in this.

Matthias
    Participant

@Henrik:

It sets the axis bindings and depending on the game it also makes sure to set the appropriate axis behaviors (headlook on/off, dead zone values, axis smoothing etc). Leaving these settings to the user would not allow us to control the user experience to the degree that we deemed was necessary for the initial launch of this application.

This is creating a mess when customers have installed Elite:Dangerous as a normal user. During ISE installation, you force us to run this as admin, so it expects to find the bind files under the admin account. Catch 22. I’m clueless atm how to sort this out. Please re-program your installation routine so that ISE installs under the current user.

Simon
    Participant

I agree. ISE does not even run under a standard user…I have to literally logon as the administrator for it even to run without throwing an error. This is ridiculous. I am not installing Elite under the admin account and running everything from there, security people!

Come on, update ISE so it will install under a standard user and run under that user. I have a device that is completely useless at the moment and you are going to lose all the good will the Elite player have for this product.

This is creating a mess when customers have installed Elite:Dangerous as a normal user. During ISE installation, you force us to run this as admin, so it expects to find the bind files under the admin account. Catch 22. I’m clueless atm how to sort this out. Please re-program your installation routine so that ISE installs under the current user.

As a work around you should be able to copy all the files located under:
    \Users\<normal user ED was installed under>\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings
    to
    \Users\<admin user your running ISE as>\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

The installation is going to require admin rights since it installs vJoy. This is not really the problem though. The real issue is that we currently have to run ISE as admin due to some of the vJoy-operations we execute on startup which causes the user mismatch if you’re logged in as a normal user.

We’re working on an update to resolve this issue.

Matthias
    Participant

Thanks for the update and advice, Henrik.
    However, I have to say that I already did this and it did not really help. Because: the config help the ISE software provides manipulates the bind files directly (but who am I telling this 🙂 ). When I start ED, it will read the bindings from my current user, not from the manipulated files under the admin account.
    I tried copying the manipulated bind file from my admin to the user account. But then they were not writable anymore, and I couldn’t change any further settings in game. I checked access rights of the bind file, but were not able to identify the issue.
    You see, he issue does not end there, sorry. I would not recommend your last post as a fix.

UPDATED: Added step 2 which is necessary if you’ve already tried to run ISE as admin once and failed.

Granted that the only problem is the modification of the config files then following steps should work:
    1. Log in as normal user.
    2. Run “Configure vJoy” and click “Reset all”.
    3. Run ISE as an admin user.
    4. Remove all files located under <ADMINUSERLOCALAPPDATA>\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings
    5. Copy your .binds files from %LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings to <ADMINUSERLOCALAPPDATA>\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings. Also, if your .binds file that your are currently using is not named “Custom.1.8.binds” then please rename it to that (working on an update for this as well).
    6. Launch game.
    7. Exit game.
    8. Open <ADMINUSERLOCALAPPDATA>\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings\Custom.1.8.binds with a text editor (e.g. notepad) and search for vJoy. If you find such an entry then continue to step 8. If you don’t then that means that ISE did not detect the launch of the E:D process which is most likely due to ISE detecting a faulty installation path (out of scope for this post).
    9. Copy the files from <ADMINUSERLOCALAPPDATA>\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings to %LOCALAPPDATA%\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings.
    10. Launch game.
    11. ???
    12. Profit!

If it doesn’t work. Run “vJoy Monitor” while the game is running. You should see two red axis indicators moving around as you look around on the screen. If this is not the case then try running “Configure vJoy”. If “Configure vJoy” fails to run with an error message along the lines of “vJoyInterface.dll version (x) does not match driver version(0)” then that means your vJoy installation is broken. This is most likely due to conflicting HID-drivers that has been installed on a previous version of windows and are still in use after an upgrade in Windows 10 (also a bit out of scope for this post). If “Configure vJoy” runs fine then that indicates that ISE cannot detect the game launch due to a faulty detected install location.

I hope it works. Thank you for your patience.

Matthias
    Participant

Thanks so much, will try that tonight!
    Btw, instead of hoping for the ‘magic’ of ISE to work, can’t you just detail what ISE writes into the bind files? I’ll happily do this myself. Just like the old DOS and Win 3.1 days :-).
    And can’t we just let vJoy run all the time connected to the EyeX controller, if the only game we are using it for is E:D?

And: major kudos for being so responsive! It’s a pleasure working with you.

Simon
    Participant

Henrick,

Run ISE as an admin user – this does not work on Windows 10. You just get the message ‘cannot initialise. The only way to run is to actually logon as an administrator.

Thanks so much, will try that tonight!

Please note that I’ve updated the steps (step 2)!

Btw, instead of hoping for the ‘magic’ of ISE to work, can’t you just detail what ISE writes into the bind files? I’ll happily do this myself. Just like the old DOS and Win 3.1 days :-).
    And can’t we just let vJoy run all the time connected to the EyeX controller, if the only game we are using it for is E:D?

Sure. As long as ISE outputs properly to vJoy then add the following to the root node of your .binds file:
    <MouseHeadlook Value=”0″ />
    <HeadlookDefault Value=”1″ />
    <HeadlookMode Value=”Bindings_HeadlookModeDirect” />
    <HeadLookPitchAxisRaw>
    <Binding Device=”vJoy” Key=”Joy_YAxis” DeviceIndex=”0″ />
    <Inverted Value=”0″ />
    <Deadzone Value=”0.0″ />
    </HeadLookPitchAxisRaw>
    <HeadLookYawAxis>
    <Binding Device=”vJoy” Key=”Joy_XAxis” DeviceIndex=”0″ />
    <Inverted Value=”0″ />
    <Deadzone Value=”0.0″ />
    </HeadLookYawAxis>

And: major kudos for being so responsive! It’s a pleasure working with you.

NP 🙂

Henrick,

Almost 😉

Run ISE as an admin user – this does not work on Windows 10. You just get the message ‘cannot initialise. The only way to run is to actually logon as an administrator.

Updated the “guide” with step 2. Thank you for the heads up.

Matthias
    Participant

Henrik, with the advice in this thread I was able to get ISE and E:D running under a standard user account in Win 7 64 bit. This just took a few minutes.
    Thanks again. Is it OK if I link here from the E:D forums, or would you rather digest this thread into a FAQ and put it under your support section?
    If I do the former, you might get a bit more traffic here, but the E:D gals and guys are a nice bunch of people. Until they start shouting out for longer jump ranges and more content ;-).

Thanks again. Is it OK if I link here from the E:D forums, or would you rather digest this thread into a FAQ and put it under your support section?

Glad I could help. Please, feel free to link here from the ED forums.
    (I’ve been meaning post more there but I just haven’t had the time.)

Matthias
    Participant

Henrik,

as I’m curious by nature, and I’m still not fully happy with the sensitivity of my current Tobii EyeX seetings: when setting new values for Speed/Gradient/Dead zone in ISE, where does the manipulation happen – at the vjoy driver level, or in the ED settings, i.e. bind files?
    I’m a bit confused, because ED allows for setting headlook sensitivity and dead zones, but nothing in the direction of ‘gradient’.

as I’m curious by nature, and I’m still not fully happy with the sensitivity of my current Tobii EyeX seetings: when setting new values for Speed/Gradient/Dead zone in ISE, where does the manipulation happen – at the vjoy driver level, or in the ED settings, i.e. bind files?
    I’m a bit confused, because ED allows for setting headlook sensitivity and dead zones, but nothing in the direction of ‘gradient’.

VJoy and ED are actually “completely” agnostic when it comes to ISE. The sensitivity settings in ISE only affect the algorithms in ISE which maps a gaze point (x,y) to a vJoy or FreeTrack (used in Bohemia games) output (x,y or yaw, pitch).

Headlook sensitivity in E:D only applies if headlook mode is set to “Accmulative” which will not work with ISE since we do the accumulation in ISE so that we can get a consistent behavior in different games.

The dead zone slider sin ED should be set to 0. If it’s not then you might get a very sharp jump when you cross the dead zone threshold. ISE will “auto configure” the head look dead zones for vJoy to 0 when ED launches.

Matthias
    Participant

Cool, thanks for the explanation! Will try to correct my E:D forum post now :-).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.