Home Forums Software Development EyeX Heatmapping

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jan Wiegmann
    Participant

Hi,

did anyone ever tried or managed to setup the EyeX-Controller with OGAMA or has written a Tool to use the EyeX for Usability testing? I know the EyeX was not constructed for any kind of research, but i’m on a budget. Therefore the EyeX controller seems to be an option. I guess the Tobii SDK 3.0 doesn’t work together with the EyeX?
    Please execuse me when i’m posting in the wrong forum, i wasn’t sure where to place my question.

Thanks for your reply

Marek Gluziński
    Participant

Have same problem I chosen EyeX-Controller to develop some low cost UX researches and looks like I choose wrong.

Here why, answer from OGAMA forum:

Hi,
    no ogama does not support the tobii Rex or tobii eyex.
    While it is possible using their SDK and ogamas sources to write a recorder interface for these two devices this will be not allowed with tobiis license model.

3.1 License. During the term of this Agreement, Licensee is granted a limited, worldwide, royalty-free, non-assignable and nonexclusive license to use the SDK (including the Software Components) solely to develop Applications for Gaze Interaction that process data from Tobii hardware and software.

Ogama is not an application for gaze interaction…

Sorry, but this is not my fault 🙂

I probably give back Tobii EyeX and buy Eye Tribe Controller which is wide open, I’m very disappointment since Tobii EyeX Controller has much better results, but unfortunately Tobii policy force us to buy their high price products if we want to use it to UX research.

Jan Wiegmann
    Participant

Hi Marek,

that’s the way we went as well. I was not able to find information if it is actually possible to set up a UX-Testing environment with the EyeX so we just bought an Eye Tribe Controller. I am not sure if the results of The Eye Tribe Controller are worse than the Tobii EyeX results. The only information i found for the EyeX accurancy is that it is “Touch-Like”, while the accurancy of The Eye Tribe Controller might be around 1 degree (depending on source), which calculates to around 1cm on screen. The only disadvantage (AFAIK) of the Eye Trive Controller is the high delivery time. I guess they don’t have the devices on stock and therefore customers have to wait a bit.
    There was only one other option – The Gaze Point GP3 – which ships with an own software bundle. Unfortunately the community seems to be fairly small and the price is set higher at around 500$.

Marek Gluziński
    Participant

Thank You for mention Gaze Point GP3 I will also consider it, even it’s quite big difference in cost.

Deliver time isn’t so important in UX research (I’m aiming on web GUI optimization) unless it’s a live streaming study, where delay have huge impact on output. Since after study you combine raw data with recorded screenplay, similar to films with delayed sound you can easily adjust it, you just need good synch points, EyeX accurancy is far for Touch-Like specially on high resolution, farer from middle of the screen the bigger mistakes (evenmore then 2 cm near the end of the screen), but it’s normal for mostly eyetrackers. Almost 10 years ago I was working on my own software for eye tracking, I used two good quality webcams (HD/60 fps) and infrared lights, based on OpenCV Intel library. Now I would like use this technology in my work :-).

Jan Wiegmann
    Participant

I didn’t mean the delivery of the data, but the shipment of the device itself. It currently takes around 4 to 6 weeks.
    I guess it isn’t an easy job to develop an eyetracking software on your own. Thank god the topic gets more popular and there are at least some solutions 🙂

Edward Ryklin
    Participant

This is a free app you can try out for UX research. It doesn’t have heatmaps (yet), but other basic functions are implemented.

Take a look at the facebook page for more info and download instructions

https://www.facebook.com/myeyetracker/

Beat Gurtner
    Participant

any news about heatmaping with tobii eyex… still not possible?

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @b-rentrug,

As a number of other users have pointed out, the long term storage of data is unfortunately prohibited by the EyeX licence agreement.

Perhaps if you could expand on your needs, we may find a workaround for you.

Beat Gurtner
    Participant

hey @grant-rogers,

i have a web app for eye exercises and i would like to see where people are looking in a heatmap style…

is this possible?

is there any information, why is prohibited?

thanks

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

Hi @b-rentrug,

So the issue is that the EyeX licence agreement prohibits the long term storage of data (we have a whole other department and eye track series for this) which is something that a heatmap requires in order to function.

Whilst you can implement within your code, a ‘count’ to how often a particular area is gazed upon, the creation of a heatmap is something that we cannot officially provide assistance in creating, although there are no great technical hurdles in doing so. Apologies.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.