Home Forums Eye Tracking Devices IR LEDs wavelength?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Masta Lomaster
    Participant

Hello,

A friend of mine lives with ALS and tries to use Tobii devices (Rex and EyeX and two more from other vendors) to control a computer.
    Unfortunately he wears strong aspherical glasses and the devices does not work properly: lose the eyes all the time and do not give the right gaze position.
    I am going to order a custom coating for the glass lenses to get rid of parasitic glints. So I need to know the exact wavelength of the infra-red lights you use in EyeX and Rex.

Please give me the numbers.

Thank you in advance.
    Mikhail a.k.a. Masta-Lomaster.

Masta Lomaster
    Participant

I found the article stating that “The centre wavelength is 850nm with bandwidth less than ± 30nm”
    http://www.tobii.com/en/eye-tracking-research/global/support-and-downloads/faqs/501a0000000jYSr/

But this was true in 2012. It seems like the newer EyeX device has LEDs with shorter wavelength (one can easily see the red light).

Can you please provide me the precise wavelengths for the Rex and EyeX?
    Thank you.

Jenny [Tobii]
    Participant

Hi Mikhail,

As far as I know we are using that wavelength in all Tobii eye trackers. What we have done on the EyeX is that we have three red LEDs that shine more intensely than the near infrared illuminators to “cover” the flickering of the illuminators. The eyes will not perceive the flickering as disturbing this way.

Masta Lomaster
    Participant

Hi Jenny,

Thank you for your prompt help and for demystifying the Red Lights of the EyeX.
    Much appreciated.

Mikhail.

Martin Kopecek
    Participant

Hi Jenny,
    Is it some development possibility to use some filter for the red wavelength for EyeS…? Or some other hardware possibility? How looks like the commercial devices? Also the same intensity and wavelength of light? Intensity of sensor is to high and it is really disturbing after few minutes of working. I understand that IR of higher wavelength can be unhealthy…but this is really annoying.

Thank you, regards Martin

Martin Kopecek
    Participant

Hello,
    Is it some development possibility to use some filter for the red wavelength for EyeS…? Or some other hardware possibility? How looks like the commercial devices? Also the same intensity and wavelength of light? Intensity of sensor is to high and it is really disturbing after few minutes of working. I understand that IR of higher wavelength can be unhealthy…but this is really annoying.

Thank you, regards Martin

Alexandre
    Participant

http://www.tobii.com/en/eye-tracking-research/global/support-and-downloads/faqs/501a0000000jYSr/

Unfortunately I could not access the content. Someone have current links?

Grant [Tobii]
    Keymaster

The original information is still valid today in 2016 for the EyeX that the centre wavelength is 850nm with bandwidth less than ± 30nm

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.