- 23/03/2017 at 02:00 #6565
While installing my 4C, using driver version v126.96.36.19907_x86 I came across a number of issues that I think would be off putting for the average user.
System: Windows 8.1 64bit
1. After downloading the driver installer, I went through the install process without the device plugged in. It appeared to hang up at around 50%, and then the machine restarted without prompting. This obviously closed all of my open files, browser tabs, etc and was quite annoyed. I was even more annoyed that it didn’t do that as part of the driver setup, and the device didn’t work when subsequently plugged in. There were no corresponding errors in the Event Log.
— Restart should never occur without prompting the user.
— If the device is required to be plugged in for the install, the setup should prompt for that
2. When installing the drivers a second time, with the device plugged in, it progressed past 60% but then apparently hung up again. The cause for the apparent hang was that I was installing under a restricted user account and the UAC prompt was hidden under the installer window. (Screen shot here: https://imgur.com/a/xxFgh) This could be easily remedied by not forcing the Tobii installer to be top most when installing. (not to mention, this is more respectful of users who switch to other apps while things install)
— The Tobii install application should not force itself to take windows top
3. After installing the Tobii eye tracker software, I now see a number of DNS failures to very odd server names, warnings that did not ever appear before in my event log. Example: “Name resolution for the name fwtgqkkzfi timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.” Either the Tobii software itself is doing this, or one of the third party binaries the Tobii software is using is probing for specific machine names. I would be curious to see if others have the same behavior.
Either way, this behavior is *very alarming*. Please remedy this immediately.
— Any third party packages used by Tobii are vetted fully, as they are to be distributed to average users27/03/2017 at 18:57 #6581Grant [Tobii]Keymaster
Hi Benjamin (@innerscript). Firstly, my apologies that you did not get the user experience you were hoping for from us and indeed thank you for the detailed report on what happened.
Certainly, some of the issues you mentioned should not be happening and I have reported them to the developers. A number of people had replied that Windows 8.1 is not as fully tested with the Tobii Software as Windows 10, so if there is any chance for you to upgrade, I would encourage you to try.
Again, thanks once more for reporting this behaviour and we will do our best to ensure our software meets your expectations of quality in the future.31/03/2017 at 18:23 #6592
Thank you for reporting the issues to the developers, that is all I ask.
I do believe the same issues would occur on Windows 10 if the issues were tested using a Standard User account and the same scenarios. If you would like me to validate a revised installer on Win 8.1, I would be happy to assist.06/04/2017 at 03:44 #6616Grant [Tobii]Keymaster
Hi Benjamin (@innerscript), it might be a bit of a long shot, but another user has reported that when downloading the setup instalation files via Chrome, the installer is corrupted but it works fine when done through firefox.. might be worth trying this just in case! Please let us know..thanks06/04/2017 at 03:48 #6618
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.